Coming to terms with Win XP after using Win 98

Mxsmanic

John said:
I don't understand how Mxsmanic expects to carry on an intelligent
conversation when he snips everything except one level of quoting.
Then again, maybe he doesn't.

I don't expect it, but I try to be optimistic.

John Doe

My file of win xp annoyanches on my computer is growing all the
time. It has some pesronal stuff so don't want to paste it all
here, but here's an idea

"checking drive _ for consistency (wait a mo and it'll be done,
don't press a key to skip, or it will ask again)

That's a good one I haven't noticed. Will test. Fortunately, I don't
reboot nearly as often these days (I'm getting used to that,
slowly).
turn win messenger service off 'cos website use it to advertise
and it looks like adware

I guess, but don't remove it unless you want to disable the ability
to use NetMeeting application sharing which is really fun stuff
(code which is now part of MSN messenger although it still works
better through NetMeeting itself).
ending explorer.exe issue, sys doesn't shut down. there is a reg
hak for that

It's been a long time since I've wanted to end explorer.exe.

Besides the Windows landfill of unnecessary garbage files my
applications are forced to live on, this is my currently most
amusing/annoying Windows XP feature.

When I go to restart or shut down the computer and my "scribble.doc"
(and/or other programs with throwaway data) hasn't been saved,
Windows tells the program to shut down but the program needs to know
whether to save before closing and Windows won't shut it down. So I
notice the scratchpad asking whether to save and before I get back
to the computer to respond, the timeout expires and Windows slaps an
error message saying that the program is not responding over the
scratchpad prompt.

I would prefer that Windows do what I tell it to do. I don't like
Windows protocols that interfere with my decisions.
If your 'Show Desktop' icon has
disappeared, go here:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/uti­ls/xp_showdesktop.htm

You can also get a large Show Desktop icon depending on how you
configure the taskbar. It's my only quick launch toolbar button.
Everything else is started by voice command if not on startup.
*turn on the windows firewall,

Or use ZoneAlarm.

John Doe

Mxsmanic said:

With your obvious lack of communications skill (for example, quoting
only one level of text so the context of your reply is frequently
lost), I certainly hope not.

Mxsmanic

John said:
I guess, but don't remove it unless you want to disable the ability
to use NetMeeting application sharing which is really fun stuff
(code which is now part of MSN messenger although it still works
better through NetMeeting itself).

It's a great way to infect your computer with malware.

John Doe

Mxsmanic said:
Paris is on Earth, and I find it easily there.

I have no doubt that non-Windows (especially Linux) software is
easier to find outside of the United States. You can find it here
too, but the store shelves are overwhelmingly full of Windows
software, even Apple software has mostly vanished.

Something Mark Twain said about French helps explain your frequent
resorting to semantics. I think it's cool though, being bilingual is
like dual booting, Mxsmanic. And you can probably more easily find
things on the Internet. I think it's a good time to know multiple
languages. With Microsoft at the helm, it will be a long time before
our computers can do the translating.

John Doe

Mxsmanic said:
Most publicly-owned companies are indeed at the whim of their
shareholders. That's why Microsoft has to declare dividends now.

I would have to check, but I bet that Microsoft shareholders are
still clamoring for more of that mountain of cash.

John Doe

To Bill Gates, Microsoft is a monopoly getter. Bill Gates, Steve
Ballmer, and the rest of Microsoft could not care less about
anything except maintaining and expanding Microsoft's monopoly
power. Microsoft could not care less about the future of high
technology. On the contrary, Microsoft is a drag on high-technology.

John Doe

Information about what?
From: Mxsmanic <mxsmanic gmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Coming to terms with Win XP after using Win 98
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 07:07:28 +0100

My information came from the airline's employees.

John Doe

The usual bogus information

From: Mxsmanic <mxsmanic gmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 07:21:51 +0100

It's a great way to infect your computer with malware.

spodosaurus

John said:
The usual bogus information

windows messenger and that msmessenger service are two different things.
The service SHOULD be disabled, and does not affect the use of windows
messenger.

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

David Maynard

John said:
Oh come on David Maynard, it's the same Microsoft defender argument,

To a rabid fanatical nut like you all of life is a 'Microsoft defender
argument'.

Not to mention that attempting to critique an argument on the grounds it
might 'defend' your favorite whipping boy is an irrational logic fallacy.

"Objection, your honor. That argument should be denied because it might
possibly be interpreted as a defense of the accused we came here to hang."
about how Microsoft and its executives are helplessly at the whim of
Microsoft investors.

No one said a blessed thing about 'helpless' anyone. It's simply the nature
and purpose of holding stock in any company and unless management has
completely lost their collective minds they'll endeavor to return a profit
or else go out of business. Not because they're 'helpless' but because
they're not insane.

David Maynard

John said:
David Maynard claims that Mxsmanic never said Microsoft Office is
only one application.

That is not what I claimed nor what I said. I said he didn't say anything
about it "IN THIS THREAD" and that it had nothing to do with the topic
under discussion.

David Maynard

John said:
That's okay, I'll wait for a citation

"Somewhere, over the rainbow... la la la"

It's not all that hard to find Time Magazine.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1142278,00.html

From the Magazine | Persons Of The Year
Persons of the Year
By NANCY GIBBS

" The Gateses, having built the world's biggest charity, with a $29 billion
endowment, spent the year giving more money away faster than anyone ever has...

For being shrewd about doing good, for rewiring politics and re-engineering
justice, for making mercy smarter and hope strategic and then daring the
rest of us to follow, Bill and Melinda Gates and Bono are TIME's Persons of
the Year."
Mxsmanic <mxsmanic gmail.com> wrote:

Mxsmanic

John said:
I have no doubt that non-Windows (especially Linux) software is
easier to find outside of the United States. You can find it here
too, but the store shelves are overwhelmingly full of Windows
software, even Apple software has mostly vanished.

Stores stock what people buy. If they stock only Windows, that
implies that there is little or no demand for anything else.

The European Union compelled Microsoft to develop a version of its OS
without Windows Media Player, so that end users would have the
possibility of installing Windows without a media player and then
selecting a media player of their own. To date, nobody has yet bought
a copy of this special version of Windows, which makes one wonder why
the EU bothered to mandate it.

Tom Lake

The European Union compelled Microsoft to develop a version of its OS
without Windows Media Player, so that end users would have the
possibility of installing Windows without a media player and then
selecting a media player of their own. To date, nobody has yet bought
a copy of this special version of Windows, which makes one wonder why
the EU bothered to mandate it.

To me (in the USA) it looks like the EU has a personal vendetta against MS.
Even though the regular version of Windows comes with a Media Player,
there's
absolutely nothing preventing people from loading their own favorite and
having
that one be the default player for any and all media files. You never have
to see
MS Media Player at all if you don't want to. It seems like the EU makes up
rules
and when MS complies, the EU adds MORE rules onto that so MS is still out of
compliance. If I was MS, I'd pull out of Europe all together until they get
their
act together. Good thing I don't control MS!

Tom Lake

Mxsmanic

John said:
I would have to check, but I bet that Microsoft shareholders are
still clamoring for more of that mountain of cash.

That's why the company is compelled to declare dividends now.