Excel Combining Excel Workbooks.

Reaction score
I'm trying to combine data from several Excel Workbooks (single sheet, identical format, just the number of rows varies) into a new Workbook.
All the "source" workbooks are in a single folder.
In effect I'm trying NOT to Copy and Paste from each one (there's hundreds!) into a Master workbook before going on to process the Master.
I tried downloading "Convert XLS" from SoftInterface, which has a sample of almost exactly what I want to do. Three "blue screen" freezes later I've given up on them.
Can anyone help me to achieve my goal?

Reaction score
I've tried this too, without success. Excel has a Help item (found by searching for "Merge workbooks" in the Help menu), but I still haven't succeeded. Note that it requires you to "share" at least the host workbook. When I tried it, the pop-up that told me what it didn't work suggests that the sheets I want to merge must come from the same orginal workbook, which seems silly.

Good luck! Post something if you succeed.

Reaction score
oh, by the way ... one more thing: There are limits in how many sheets you can add to a workbook, based on your system's memory.

Reaction score
I've contacted Softinterface (suppliers of "Convert XLS") - there's a small problem with using some functions in Convert XLS which can be overcome by specifying the same requirements in a different way. The way I was doing it (as per the supplied example) can use HUGE amounts of memory - and did.
Now got it going - and it works!
The next problem is that after 30 uses of the software you can extend the trial period by 30 days, then you have to pay - 499 US dollars for a single copy. Probablu OK for companies, but not cheap for personal use!
Still hoping someone out there can help with a way of doing this in Excel.....

Reaction score
I have the similiar problem. I have hundreds of excel workbooks(singe sheet) with the same format. I want to have a workbook including all those sheets from the workbooks.

Help Please

Reaction score
Merge Excel Files

There is a program that does exactly what you seek. It is called bulk file merger (there is a mac version by the same company called Excel File Merger). This program will merge excel files, merge pdf files, even merge doc, csv, and text files. All these formats in one app. Site is essexredevelopment.com/excel-file-merger.

Took me a few seconds to merge 300 csv files. All the data was vertically appended, line by line into one master file.

Ask a Question