Combining Contacts and Address Books

GSalisbury

I've been rooting thru this NG and doing some googles for awhile.
Either what I'm after isn't here or (more likely) I didn't recognize it when
it was starring me in the face. I could use some direction.

I'm on W98se with WAB installed.
I use OL98, IE6, OLE6.
What I've been trying to determine is if there is some
arrangement/method/setup etc. that will allow me to have one 'resource'
shared by all apps.

I know that I can go into the various Import/Export functions and probably
achieve something but having to do so continuously seems a bit intensive.
What I'm trying to determine is if I can perhaps do that (or something)
'one-time' and have everything use that result directly. My object is to see
that same Contacts/Addresses whether I bring up OL98 for Mail, OLE for
Newsgroups or WAB for maintenance.

Is this doable?
Is there thread, discussion, KB etc. on it you can point me to?
TIA

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You need to post your mail support mode of Outlook 98. If it's Internet Mail
Only mode, you simply enable sharing in the Windows Address Book > Tools >
Options...

GSalisbury

Russ,
Thanks for your time.
Sorry about that, yes my mode is Internet Mail Only (by that I presume that
you mean not a corporate exchange server environment).

My Start/Programs/Accessories/Address Book does not present anything
concerning sharing in Tools (or elsewhere that I can uncover). My Address
Book Tools drop-down does not have an Options selection.

I have one OL98 .pst and .pab and one OLE/Address Book .wab.
Selecting Addresses in OLE or Address Book brings up the .wab.
Selection Addresses on OL98 brings up Contacts in the .pst or the .pab
entries.

I guess what I'm looking for is some way to have OL98 connect to the .wab.
Is that doable?
I'd worry about getting what I want in the .wab later.
Hope I'm making myself clear enough.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
GSalisbury said:
[...]

If in fact you are using Internet Mail Only mode, you would have the option.
Don't just guess.
Look.
Your mail support mode is listed in Help | About, line 2.What does it say?
Outlook will not use the WAB.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

GSalisbury said:
[...]

oops - I didn't know about that.
My OL98 Help/About says Corporate or Workgroup.
I was going by my Profile in Properties and the manner in which I'm using
OL.
I do, however, connect to my work environment via VPN using a different
Profile.
I installed OL98 so long ago I forget the options I may selected.
Can I reverse the direction - have WAB/OLE use an OL98 .pab?
We don't need to beat this completely to death if what I'm after isn't
practically doable - I've lived with this long I can continue.
Thanks for your thoughts.

"GSalisbury" <salsburyg at comcast dot net> wrote in message
I've been rooting thru this NG and doing some googles for awhile.
Either what I'm after isn't here or (more likely) I didn't recognize it
when
it was starring me in the face. I could use some direction.

I'm on W98se with WAB installed.
I use OL98, IE6, OLE6.
What I've been trying to determine is if there is some
arrangement/method/setup etc. that will allow me to have one 'resource'
shared by all apps.

I know that I can go into the various Import/Export functions and probably
achieve something but having to do so continuously seems a bit intensive.
What I'm trying to determine is if I can perhaps do that (or something)
'one-time' and have everything use that result directly. My object
is

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Only IMO mode permits the sharing of the Outlook Contacts Folder with OE,
but it must be your Contacts Folder, not a PAB (no one uses a PAB anymore,
BTW).
There is a reg hack you could try to force OE to look to the Outlook
Contacts Folder instead of the WAB, but to my knowledge it's not been tried
with an version of Outlook that old. The reg hack is described here:
http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/oeshare.htm

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

GSalisbury said:
[...]

Thanks I'll check it out and give it shot.
I'll give it up if I don't get anywhere.
I appreciate your ideas.
Thanks
Bye.