FredBillie

<< From: (e-mail address removed) (Autofuzz)
Date: Tue, Nov 25, 2003 2:48 PM

Any one have any idea about how Canon InkJet Photo printers work in
REALLY cold places.. I am looking at either the i960 or i950 line and
am going to use it in northern canada, if I'm out of the house for
weeks at a time and the heating has been switched off I don't want to
have to come back to a set of frozen cartridges and nozzle. Couldn't
find any canon specs which address this.. Any clue?

Thanks
AYou know that high density foam you always through away when you buy something?
You could always make a foam housing for your printer to insulate it.

Jeff H

I seem to recall something about (specifically epson) ink containing glycol,
which if i'm not mistaken is essentially anti-freeze. My own experience is
as a retailer who orders ink throughout the year, including the bitter cold
Canadian winter months. It travels for up to three days in unheated
transports from Ontario to Nova Scotia and never arrives frozen. I wouldn't
sweat over the cold weather :->

Jeff H

Mark Linden

Any one have any idea about how Canon InkJet Photo printers work in
REALLY cold places.. I am looking at either the i960 or i950 line and
am going to use it in northern canada, if I'm out of the house for
weeks at a time and the heating has been switched off I don't want to
have to come back to a set of frozen cartridges and nozzle. Couldn't
find any canon specs which address this.. Any clue?

Thanks

I downloaded a user manual. In the appendix I found:
Operating environment: Temperature: 5 to 35 C (41 to 95 F)
Humidity: 10 to 90%RH (no condensation)

Storage environment: Temperature: 0 to 40 C (32 to 104 F)
Humidity: 5 to 95%RH (no condensation)

It sounds to me as if freezing is a possibility.

Off topic: Does this house have water pipes? I'd be more worried
about them, since they're more expensive and can do a lot more damage.

John H

Any one have any idea about how Canon InkJet Photo printers work in
REALLY cold places.. I am looking at either the i960 or i950 line and
am going to use it in northern canada, if I'm out of the house for
weeks at a time and the heating has been switched off I don't want to
have to come back to a set of frozen cartridges and nozzle. Couldn't
find any canon specs which address this.. Any clue?

Thanks
When I am worried that something might freeze, I use a small light
bulb left on next to the object.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!