CloudFlare DNS Servers are Faster and More Secure

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Can you try disabling it, then open the browser (not before) and see if it works? Kaspersky interrupts the SSL cert process as part of it's protection (at least it does on Kaspersky Internet Security, and I'm assuming the free version may do to).

Disabled Kaspersky Free but still get the "Site Insecure" message.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

Hmmmm.... very odd. I've not got much net access for the next few days, so I'll do some research when I'm back and see if I can help :).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you click on the padlock symbol in IE11 (right of the address bar), then click "view certificates", then post screenshots of the window that pops up please (with and without Kaspersky running). I've tried to emulate your setup, but can't trigger it even with strict settings. I've attached what I see (below).

I'd be interested to see if you get a Kaspersky replacement certificate, even when it's disabled - as I think this is where the problem may be.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    31.5 KB · Views: 221

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi Ian, do you just want the screenshots of the "General" tab in "View Certificates"?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes please, that should be enough info to confirm :).

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
OK, here they are with Kaspersky and without.

CertWith.JPG
CertWithout.JPG

:)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cheers @nivrip - it looks like Kaspersky does indeed fully disable SSL cert replacement for you, so it's unlikely to be that. Does the problem only happen on 1.1.1.1 or have you noticed it elsewhere? I'll look in to it in detail on Fri for you, as it's been a busy week - sorry my replies have been slow. If it's only on 1.1.1.1 can you try posting the screenshots when visiting that domain please?

Maybe it would be easier if you let @Ian remote into your desktop so he can click around and find your issue :user:

That would be a good idea, but I always like to solve problems on the forum directly, as it'll help a lot of other users searching for the same problem in future. On Fri I'll have a lot more time to look in to it in detail and hopefully have a work around :).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
To update this, I've been using these DNS for almost a week now. They genuinely do seem very fast. I'll be keeping them until I find something better.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Cheers @nivrip Does the problem only happen on 1.1.1.1 or have you noticed it elsewhere? If it's only on 1.1.1.1 can you try posting the screenshots when visiting that domain please?

Where else should I try? The screenshot on 1.1.1.1 is in one of the earlier posts.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Where else should I try? The screenshot on 1.1.1.1 is in one of the earlier posts.

Sorry, I mean the screenshot of the SSL certificate part. The SSL certificate screenshots in post #28 appear to be the ones for pcreview.co.uk. The only screenshot I can see from 1.1.1.1 is the error page.

I'm back home today, so I'm researching this at the moment - but seeing the SSL certificate screenshot when visiting 1.1.1.1 would help know why that error is appearing.

edit:

Also, what happens if you visit https://one.one.one.one/? Technically, it may not be advisable to issue an SSL cert to an IP address, rather than a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name). It'll be interesting to know if this link works instead.

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi Ian, when I try to go onto 1.1.1.1 all I get is the error page and there is no padlock on which to click

Error.JPG

Now, just been on https://one.one.one.one/ and I've got

one..JPG

which is, I suppose, what I'm looking for. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks @nivrip - I understand now. It looks like the SSL cert does work on your system, but only when applied to a domain name, rather than an IP address. That is best practice, but most systems are quite happy to work this way. I'm not sure why yours isn't... however as the FQDN version works, it looks like this is a good workaround :D.

Ask a Question