CloudFlare DNS Servers are Faster and More Secure

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That is a great IP address to own - I bet that cost a packet :lol:.

Have you used OpenDNS or GoogleDNS before? If so, how does it compare?

I'm currently using https://www.opendns.com/ and I've been pleased with it so far, it's a lot more reliable than my ISPs DNS servers.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've used OpenDNS before and currently on Google's DNS, been meaning to try Cloudflare for ages.

ISP DNS servers are almost always crap. Just don't use them!

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
Have you used OpenDNS or GoogleDNS before?

I'm starting to shy away from Google services, they track everything you do, even your location. And even when you tell them not to track you, they go ahead and do it anyway.

Did you know that in America the major wireless providers sell our location data to advertisers so they can monitor our shopping habits. And you can't even opt out of this tracking. It's disturbing to say the least :cry:

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
been meaning to try Cloudflare for ages.

I can honestly say that since switching to the CloudFare DNS servers, my internet has been so much faster. Before I was waiting 5 to 10 seconds for a website to respond, now I'm waiting 1.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score

Clicked on the above and got

Not Secure.JPG

so I closed it immediately. Any comments?

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
What were you using before?

I had my settings at "Obtain DNS Auto" so it was using the service providers servers. Spectrum or Verizon based on where I was at. Those servers log everything you do and the lag from that spying is what causes the delay.

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
Just tried it on Edge and I get the same response.

You must have an internet setting or a security setting that's stopping your browsers from retrieving that website. I was able to pull up that website using Edge and IE. There are a couple settings that come to mind, Smart Screen, and "Warn about certificate address mismatch"

You might have to clear your cache and your downloaded certificates.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm going to give this a go too :).

Just tried it on Edge and I get the same response.
What next? :)

Which anti-virus are you using? It's odd that you're seeing an SSL error for this - it's a particularly unusual error too.

Out of interest, what happens when you run "tracert 1.1.1.1" from the command prompt? If you could paste in the results here, but redact your WAN (internet) IP address if it appears.

As an aside, I would move away from IE if possible, as it's getting a bit long in the tooth and will only receive security updates from now on (until the end of life cycle for W10). It won't be long before it starts to miss out on important web standards and features.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Which anti-virus are you using?
Out of interest, what happens when you run "tracert 1.1.1.1" from the command prompt?

I'm using Kaspersky Free.

Bit thick here, what does " run "tracert 1.1.1.1" from the command prompt" mean and can you tell me how to do it. :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Windows key and R > type cmd hit enter.
Type tracert 1.1.1.1 into the black window.
Paste what you see or screenshot. (to copy and paste right click the black window and hit select all, then hit enter then paste it into here. :) )

Like this:

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.286]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\>tracert 1.1.1.1

Tracing route to one.one.one.one [1.1.1.1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  router.asus.com [192.168.1.2]
  2     6 ms     6 ms     6 ms  losubs.subs.bng1.th-lon.zen.net.uk [62.3.80.17]
  3     6 ms     6 ms     6 ms  ae1-177.cr2.th-lon.zen.net.uk [62.3.80.38]
  4     6 ms     6 ms     6 ms  lonap.as13335.net [5.57.81.75]
  5     6 ms     6 ms     6 ms  one.one.one.one [1.1.1.1]

Trace complete.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm using Kaspersky Free.

Can you try disabling it, then open the browser (not before) and see if it works? Kaspersky interrupts the SSL cert process as part of it's protection (at least it does on Kaspersky Internet Security, and I'm assuming the free version may do to).

Bit thick here, what does " run "tracert 1.1.1.1" from the command prompt" mean and can you tell me how to do it. :D

@V_R has you sorted :D. It shows the route taken to get data from your PC to an end point - I was wondering there was a local routing problem and this would shows the jumps taken to get to 1.1.1.1.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for that V_R. :) Nice to see that someone has more than half a brain.

Here it is...………………

Trace.JPG

No idea what it all means but, no doubt, all will be revealed. :D

Ask a Question