cloning a ide drive to a SATA

i understand before cloning the drive i have to load the SATA drivers into
the windows folder so when the computer is restarted the sata HDD is
recognized as the boot drive ( the IDE drive will be disconnected), my
question is.........which folder do i load them to? Thanks for all and any
comments, Mike

Mike

Just done it recently, the best way I found was to install the adapter
card (if you need one ) install the sata drive and drivers as a logical
drive. By doing this you can check you have the drive functioning before you
clone it. If you are mirroring SATA drives on a home PC the performance hit
of the mirror is pretty bad though. Alright for servers but not really
multimedia etc.

Hope this helps

Wayne Roop

It appears you are cloning the IDE with the primary partition and XP to
the SATA. What I did was enable the SATA controller, with no drive
connected, in the BIOS while still using the IDE drive. XP detected the new
device and I used the floppy provided by the motherboard manu. just for this
purpose as the location for the drivers. Once this completes successfully
you could go ahead and clone. I did this with no problem.
If you wish to test first connect the SATA while the IDE is still being
used. Assuming it's unformatted you won't get a drive letter, but Disk
Management should show it.

Regards,
Wayne R.