Client loses network connection with server after reboot

Reaction score
I have a problem with a client/server app:
It is a web application that resides in C:\inetpub\wwwroot (aspx pages) of the server. The client is a Windows app that is installed into Program Files on the clients and when running receives commands from a webservice on the server.
When I install it on a PC on our own test environment it communicates with the server perfectly, no matter how many times I re-boot the client, the connection never goes down.
When I give the client to someone on a separate domain, they install it and everything is OK. However, once they reboot the PC (Windows XP) the connection to the server fails. The can still ping the server from the PC, they can even see the web service is up and running by typing into a browser but the connection now fails.
If I get them to uninstall the client all and re-install, it is fine again. As I say, it is a reboot that breaks it (communication to the web service that is.)
My problem is that I am completley blind to the setup on the client-side of those I give it to (I only email it to them, I have only been in the site once).
The PC is obviously on a domain (with static ip addresses I assume) but other than that I know nothing.
I think it is something similar to the way when you map a drive in Windows and then when you reboot it has lost the connection and you have to re-map it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question