Windows XP client computer internet browser connection issue

Reaction score
The client computer on my home network will connect to the internet, but when I try to use a browser IE or Mozilla I get an error message saying there is no internet connect. My son can play an online game so there is obviously a connection. Both computers run windows xp, I've tried running the diagnostic tools and recieved a winsock catalog error message, so I ran program designed to fix that and am still unable to convince the browser that there is indeed a connection. Any help would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
check you have DNS servers configured.

easiest way to check if DNS is set correctly and working to type the following in to the address bar in IE http://66.102.9.99

Reaction score
I get the same error message. I suppose that means the DNS isn't set correctly, now if only I knew how to fix that. Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
it just means that it isn't not set correctly ;)

got START -> RUN -> type CMD -> type IPCONFIG /ALL

Post the output on here.

Reaction score
primary DNS suffix:
NODE TYPE: Mixed
IP Routing: enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No
DNS suffix search list: mshome.net

then it has a list for ethernet adapter local area 2 which isn't connected to the net because it was my first attempt at home network setup and I didn't know if it was safe to get rid of it so maybe the browser is trying to connect through that but the online game is connecting correctly, I'm so lost. =/

Ask a Question