Clicking on a WMV file in Explorer causes error...

Bobby C

I'm looking at a list of .WMV files. If I single-click one (or hover over
it with preview on) I get the error:

The instruction at "0x0152b676" referenced memory at "0xd0000000". The
memory could not be "read".

This error occurs on all files, yet I can open the files by using Windows
Media Player. These files work on other machines, including a new XP
machine. I'm running a Toshiba laptop (P35-S6112, it's a 3.43 gHz P4 with 1
GB or RAM and plenty of free disk space). The OS is XP Pro SP2 with all the
updates applied. Windows Media Player is version 10. I have downloaded and
ran MemTest and there were no errors detected. The machine has been running
very well except for this little hiccup.

Anyone have an idea where to go from here? Thanks!

--

Bobby C.

"If You're Not A Part Of The Solution, There's Good Money To Be Made In
Prolonging The Problem." - from the 2002 Despair series posters entitled
"Consulting"

Bobby C

If so I've installed a lot of other stuff after that. Is there a way to
reinstall the original codecs for Media player? Or maybe there is a way to
tell what codecs are installed?

--

Bobby C.

"If You're Not A Part Of The Solution, There's Good Money To Be Made In
Prolonging The Problem." - from the 2002 Despair series posters entitled
"Consulting"

Bobby C

After disabling certain items I disabled all ActiveX Filters, audio codecs
and video codecs. The problem still remains. It's odd that it occurs when
I hover the mouse pointer over a .WMV file. What function in XP gives the
file information when you point at a media file (audio, video or graphics)?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Hi Bobby,

The Infotip queries these details when you hover over a video (eg..WMV)
file:

prop:Type;DocTitle;EpisodeName;ProgramDescription;Duration;Bitrate;Dimensions;Protected;Size

Set in this registry key:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\video]
Value named "InfoTip"

BTW, have you checked the Event Log for any info about the crash?

Click Start, Run and type eventvwr.msc
Select Application entry in the left pane
In the right-pane, look for the Error entry denoted by a Red X
Sort by date and track-down the entry based on what time the error exactly
occurred. Locate and double-click the entry and you'll see more information
in the resulting dialog, as given below:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 12/30/2004
Time: 2:41:34 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SUPERCOMPUTER
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module
hyperbar.dll, version 1.0.1.1, fault address 0x0000e956.

Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 65 78 70 ure exp
0018: 6c 6f 72 65 72 2e 65 78 lorer.ex
0020: 65 20 36 2e 30 2e 32 39 e 6.0.29
0028: 30 30 2e 32 31 38 30 20 00.2180
0030: 69 6e 20 68 79 70 65 72 in hyper
0038: 62 61 72 2e 64 6c 6c 20 bar.dll
0040: 31 2e 30 2e 31 2e 31 20 1.0.1.1
0048: 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73 65 at offse
0050: 74 20 30 30 30 30 65 39 t 0000e9
0058: 35 36 0d 0a 56..

Bobby C

There were no errors that showed up in the Applications log but under the
System log I found the following two entries:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 5/16/2005
Time: 10:47:21 AM
User: N/A
Computer: LAPTOP
Application popup: Explorer.EXE - Application Error : The instruction at
"0x1022b676" referenced memory at "0xa8000000". The memory could not be
"read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

Date: 5/16/2005
Time: 10:47:24 AM
User: N/A
Computer: LAPTOP
Application popup: Explorer.EXE - Application Error : The instruction at
"0x1022b676" referenced memory at "0xa8000000". The memory could not be
"read".

Click on OK to terminate the program

Following the link for either of these I get the following information:

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 26
Source: Application Popup
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: STATUS_LOG_HARD_ERROR
Message: Application popup: %1 : %2

Explanation
The program could not load a driver because the program user
doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because the drive
is missing or corrupt.

User Action
To correct this problem:

a.. Ensure that the program user has sufficient privileges to
access the directory in which the driver is installed.
b.. Reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct
location.
If these solutions do not work, contact Product Support
Services.

Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: status_log_hard_error
Message: Unable to Load Device Driver : device driver could not
be loaded.

Explanation
The program could not load a driver because the program user
doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because the drive
is missing or corrupt.

User Action
To correct this problem:

a.. Reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct
location.

I'm not quite sure which program it thinks I should reinstall or what
driver is missing or corrupted.

Date: 12/30/2004
Time: 2:41:34 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SUPERCOMPUTER
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module
hyperbar.dll, version 1.0.1.1, fault address 0x0000e956.

Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 65 78 70 ure exp
0018: 6c 6f 72 65 72 2e 65 78 lorer.ex
0020: 65 20 36 2e 30 2e 32 39 e 6.0.29
0028: 30 30 2e 32 31 38 30 20 00.2180
0030: 69 6e 20 68 79 70 65 72 in hyper
0038: 62 61 72 2e 64 6c 6c 20 bar.dll
0040: 31 2e 30 2e 31 2e 31 20 1.0.1.1
0048: 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73 65 at offse
0050: 74 20 30 30 30 30 65 39 t 0000e9
0058: 35 36 0d 0a 56..

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Bobby C said:
After disabling certain items I disabled all ActiveX Filters, audio
codecs and video codecs. The problem still remains. It's odd that it
occurs when I hover the mouse pointer over a .WMV file. What function in
XP gives the file information when you point at a media file (audio,
video or graphics)?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

The video card drivers perhaps?

Geeks To Go - Free Computer Help -> Radeon 9800 Pro Problems:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Radeon_9800_Pro_Problems-t6435-s60.html

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Date: 12/30/2004
Time: 2:41:34 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SUPERCOMPUTER
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module
hyperbar.dll, version 1.0.1.1, fault address 0x0000e956.

Data:

Bobby C said:
After disabling certain items I disabled all ActiveX Filters, audio
codecs and video codecs. The problem still remains. It's odd that it
occurs when I hover the mouse pointer over a .WMV file. What function
in XP gives the file information when you point at a media file (audio,
video or graphics)?

You can locate and selectively disable third-party Codecs using Nir's
MMCompView v1.10 utility. Download it from here:

View installed Codec and ActiveX filters and enable / disable them:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mmview.html

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Bobby C" <bobbyc.dixon-REMOVEME-creek.com> wrote in message
If so I've installed a lot of other stuff after that. Is there a way
to reinstall the original codecs for Media player? Or maybe there is
a way to tell what codecs are installed?

--

Bobby C.

"If You're Not A Part Of The Solution, There's Good Money To Be Made
In Prolonging The Problem." - from the 2002 Despair series posters
entitled "Consulting"

Bobby,

Did you install a third-party codec pack or similar? Also, if this
has happened recently, System Restore rollback might be a good idea.
See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=34275

--
[...]

As I started to type my initial reply to this idea it dawned on me that
Windows Media Player was able to open the file up directly. It was always a
problem in Explorer. So I looked at the information you gave me about the
place in the registry where the InfoTips get their information. For mine
the data value was:

prop:Type;DocTitle;EpisodeName;ProgramDescription;Duration;Bitrate;Dimensions;Protected;Size

if I changed it to

prop:Type;Duration;Bitrate;Size

then the error no longer occurs when I hover. Now I am trying to track down
why it occurs when I click or double-click.

Date: 12/30/2004
Time: 2:41:34 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SUPERCOMPUTER
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting
module
hyperbar.dll, version 1.0.1.1, fault address 0x0000e956.

Data:
[...]

Well done Bobby. You should be able to track the particular extended file
property that's causing the crash. Wish you good luck on this.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User