Cisco Systems VPN client software

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is in the right section and if it is sorry. I don't know if anyone has heard of this programme but my school now gives me access to my school files from home but to do this I need to connect via the VPN client software but mine never connects. I know it is working cos all me friends are using it so i think it is the way i connect to the internet which is via a router. I don't know if the firewall built-in the router is stopping it but I don't know how to allow it to work.

If anyone has any ideas it would be great??

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Were you given any settings to get VPN working? I've heard of this before, but I've never used it before. It is possible that your router/firewall could block access to a remote network, but someone better informed may be able to help more than I can :)

Reaction score
What connection are you running ?? What routing equipment are you using (if any)...

The Cisco VPN client uses IPSec over L2TP (layer two tunnelling protocol).

If your router/connection/firewall doesn't support IP/VPN passthrough (specifically IPSec/L2TP), then the connection to your school will fail.

The client should keep a log file somewhere, if you can find it, paste it into a post. It's easier to see where the issue is with a log. Most likely, you are starting the crypt key exchange but the encrypted traffic isn't coming back through because it's blocked by the router not being configured to accept the inbound encrypted segment of the key exchange. Without that, the VPN tunnel can't be created.

Reaction score
I do think it is the router in the firewall. It is only a couple of mouths of old now so I would think I would be able to connect to it but my brother who manages the router says he needs a port number to let the firewall not block it. Someone at my school is trying to find out but if any of you guys know it would be great.

I can find the log but it only has information about my pc for example where I installed it and what version I am using but if you still think it would be of use then ask and I will paste it in.

The reason VPN says it can’t connect is because:

Secure VPN Connection Terminated locally by the client.
Reason 412: The remote peer is no longer responding.

Don't know if this is any help

Thanks for everything

Reaction score
Which router model is it? Most modern, recent routers have support for VPN/IPSec passthrough. Check the manual to see if it supports that type of traffic.

IPSec is normally port 1701.

Reaction score
Shorty said:
Which router model is it? Most modern, recent routers have support for VPN/IPSec passthrough. Check the manual to see if it supports that type of traffic.

IPSec is normally port 1701.

Yes i have checked my router can take it and i have tried that port number and it has not changed. Back to the drawing board!

Thanks for trying anyway

Reaction score
I am having the same problem:

Secure VPN Connection Terminated locally by the client.
Reason 412: The remote peer is no longer responding.

The only difference is that mine worked and quit working today.

I am not losing packets and port 1701 is not blocked at the firewall. Internet traffic is working fine on all machines. The same machine that is having the VPN problems is also not able to connect to MSN Messenger (which also used to work). There have been no changes in our network in at least a week.

Reaction score
I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this so please point me in the right direction if it is not.

I have a work laptop and a home PC and I’ve set up a ad hoc wireless network. Using the internet connection sharing (ICS) feature in Windows I can connect my laptop “through my home PC” to the internet. However when I try and establish a VPN connection on my laptop to the office it appears to connect securely but I cannot access any of the folders, email etc at work. The problem only occurs when I connect through my home PC with ICS – it is fine when I dial up directly to my ISP with my laptop.

My system / setup is:

Laptop - Windows XP pro, Cisco VPN client (version 4.0.4 (D))
Home PC - Windows XP home
Internet Connection – dial up

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Andy

Ask a Question