Chuck Berry

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Chuck Berry had a great influence on popular/rock music. He was one of the first artists to use showmanship, that typical pose of his, and guitar solos in his songs. The Beatles used a lot of his material in their early days on the road and at least two of his songs are on their well known albums. I went to see him in Newcastle in the very late 60s and he was a great act. I distinctively remember just how skinny his legs were. :)

I have all of his well known songs, and there are quite a lot of them. The only one I never liked was My Ding-a-Ling.

RIP

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
So sad :( He lived a good, long life though. Amazing to think that his music is currently travelling billions of miles away from Earth on the Voyager spacecrafts:

C7P792wVsAIsyR6.jpg

I love My Ding-a-Ling

Nearly snorted coffee out of my nose!! :eek: :lol:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
So sad :( He lived a good, long life though.

Well, not totally good.

He was jailed three times !! Once for armed robbery when he was 18, once for taking a 14 year old girl across the state line for nefarious purposes and once for tax evasion.

;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
No denying his originality, influence and great songwriting but he was a bit of rascal for sure. As well as armed robbery, 14 year old girls and tax evasion there was that matter of setting up covert CCTV cameras in the female restrooms of his St Louis Hotel.

Sorry to say but I think Mr Berry was a bit of a perv.

Still, no denying his talent and he influenced lots of artists - Beatles, Stones, Hendrix - and his legacy will live on. He toured at the age of 82 and died at 90 so didn't do bad at all.

RIP Chuck.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Ah, yes I meant his life was long and that was good. Not he lead a good life, that implies a lack of rascal tendancies ;)

Ask a Question