chkdsk causing crash

Gary Karasik

Hi,

I have a client with several XP/Pro Dell 4100s. Running CHKDSK /F on these
machines, whether they're SP1 or SP2, causes them to crash on reboot and
either go to a blue screen or to rerun CHKDSK in a loop (reboots, runs
CHKDSK, reboots, runs CHKDSK). The only way to get the machines to boot into
XP is to use Last Known Good.

If I boot to the Recovery Console, I can run CHKDSK /P without problems.

Any thoughts?

GaryK

David H. Lipman

Go to the hard disk manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic software
respective to your hard disk. After the test, you will know if the hard disk is bad or
not..

Quantum/Maxtor - PowerMax
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

Western Digital - Data LifeGuard Tools (DLGDiag)
http://support.wdc.com/download/

Hitachi/IBM - Drive Fitness Test (DFT)
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Seagate - SeaTools
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

Fujitsu - Diagnostic Tool
http://www.fcpa.com/download/hard-drives/

Samsung - Disk manager
http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities/

Dave

"Gary Karasik" <gkarasik2fea.net> wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I have a client with several XP/Pro Dell 4100s. Running CHKDSK /F on these
| machines, whether they're SP1 or SP2, causes them to crash on reboot and
| either go to a blue screen or to rerun CHKDSK in a loop (reboots, runs
| CHKDSK, reboots, runs CHKDSK). The only way to get the machines to boot into
| XP is to use Last Known Good.
|
| If I boot to the Recovery Console, I can run CHKDSK /P without problems.
|
| Any thoughts?
|
| GaryK

Gary Karasik

Six machines are doing this, and "Last Known Good" lets them recover, and
running CHKDSK /P /R from the Recoverly Console works fine, so it's not a
hard-disk problem, but thanks.

GaryK

David H. Lipman

OK wallow in your problem. I gave you a test. With it you can rule-in or rule-out a
particular problem. Without it you are just plain lost.

Just because you have a half dozen PCs that are doing this does NOT exclude a hard disk
problem. Based upon my experiences, if you have a large org. with many of the same
platforms, if you see one problem on one PC you can see it an others as they are all built
at the same time and tend to use the same batch of components.

I'll have you know that my company uses CSC as our Prime Contractor and through them we had
them build thousands of platforms for our enterprise. We too obtained their platforms (~ 80
platforms in '97) for our Program Manager's office. Several months later starting seeing
the hard disks failing in these platforms. All were SeaGate and all were the same model.
The number of drives failing were too large in too short of time to be random events. I
contacted CSC and forced a pow wow between CSC and SeaGate. SeaGate finally admitted they
had a bad QC run in Singapore (dust got into the drives) and *all* the hard disks were
summarily replaced by CSC. That was over 5,000 3GB SeaGate drives replaced in our office
and in our enterprise.

Run the test. What have you go to loose ?

Dave

"Gary Karasik" <gkarasik2fea.net> wrote in message
| Six machines are doing this, and "Last Known Good" lets them recover, and
| running CHKDSK /P /R from the Recoverly Console works fine, so it's not a
| hard-disk problem, but thanks.
|
| GaryK
|
| | > Go to the hard disk manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic
| > software
| > respective to your hard disk. After the test, you will know if the hard
| > disk is bad or
| > not..
| >
| > Quantum/Maxtor - PowerMax
| > http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
| >
| > Western Digital - Data LifeGuard Tools (DLGDiag)
| > http://support.wdc.com/download/
| >
| > Hitachi/IBM - Drive Fitness Test (DFT)
| > http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
| >
| > Seagate - SeaTools
| > http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/
| >
| > Fujitsu - Diagnostic Tool
| > http://www.fcpa.com/download/hard-drives/
| >
| > Samsung - Disk manager
| > http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities/
| >
| > Dave

| > |
| > | I have a client with several XP/Pro Dell 4100s. Running CHKDSK /F on
| > these
| > | machines, whether they're SP1 or SP2, causes them to crash on reboot and
| > | either go to a blue screen or to rerun CHKDSK in a loop (reboots, runs
| > | CHKDSK, reboots, runs CHKDSK). The only way to get the machines to boot
| > into
| > | XP is to use Last Known Good.
| > |
| > | If I boot to the Recovery Console, I can run CHKDSK /P without problems.
| > |
| > | Any thoughts?
| > |
| > | GaryK
| > |
| > |

Gary Karasik

Wallow in my problem?

Two Western Digitals, four Maxtors.

I tested all six. All passed all tests.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

GaryK

David H. Lipman

I'm actually glad to hear that.

Good luck.

Dave

"Gary Karasik" <gkarasik2fea.net> wrote in message
| Wallow in my problem?
|
| Two Western Digitals, four Maxtors.
|
| I tested all six. All passed all tests.
|
| Thanks for taking the time to respond.
|
| GaryK
|
| | > OK wallow in your problem. I gave you a test. With it you can rule-in
| > or rule-out a
| > particular problem. Without it you are just plain lost.
| >
| > Just because you have a half dozen PCs that are doing this does NOT
| > exclude a hard disk
| > problem. Based upon my experiences, if you have a large org. with many of
| > the same
| > platforms, if you see one problem on one PC you can see it an others as
| > they are all built
| > at the same time and tend to use the same batch of components.
| >
| > I'll have you know that my company uses CSC as our Prime Contractor and
| > through them we had
| > them build thousands of platforms for our enterprise. We too obtained
| > their platforms (~ 80
| > platforms in '97) for our Program Manager's office. Several months later
| > starting seeing
| > the hard disks failing in these platforms. All were SeaGate and all were
| > the same model.
| > The number of drives failing were too large in too short of time to be
| > random events. I
| > contacted CSC and forced a pow wow between CSC and SeaGate. SeaGate
| > finally admitted they
| > had a bad QC run in Singapore (dust got into the drives) and *all* the
| > hard disks were
| > summarily replaced by CSC. That was over 5,000 3GB SeaGate drives
| > replaced in our office
| > and in our enterprise.
| >
| > Run the test. What have you go to loose ?
| >
| > Dave

| > and
| > | running CHKDSK /P /R from the Recoverly Console works fine, so it's not
| > | hard-disk problem, but thanks.
| > |
| > | GaryK
| > |