Chart 'crowding' problem. Chart suddenly overlaps axis text.

T

Toby Erkson

My manager created several chart sheets on his system (currently Windows 2000, Excel 2002 I'm pretty sure...he's in a meeting so I can't get his SP#). The
charts look good, have a couple added lines to split the quarter visually into three months (the X-axis is the day of the quarter), and it displays both X- and
Y-axis labels. When I open them on my system (Windows XP, Excel 2002 SP 2) they look fine. But the following day when I open the workbook the charts are now a
little larger and are overlapping the axis labels...very annoying!

Any idea why this is happening? The workbooks are automatically updated (they pull in data via MS Query) at night using a scheduler and VB code
(Workbook_Open). I set the scheduler to open Excel in a minimized window.

Frustrated,
Toby Erkson
Oregon, USA

T

Toby Erkson

He's running Excel 2002 with no service packs.

My manager created several chart sheets on his system (currently Windows 2000, Excel 2002 I'm pretty sure...he's in a meeting so I can't get his SP#). The
charts look good, have a couple added lines to split the quarter visually into three months (the X-axis is the day of the quarter), and it displays both X- and
Y-axis labels. When I open them on my system (Windows XP, Excel 2002 SP 2) they look fine. But the following day when I open the workbook the charts are now a
little larger and are overlapping the axis labels...very annoying!

Any idea why this is happening? The workbooks are automatically updated (they pull in data via MS Query) at night using a scheduler and VB code
(Workbook_Open). I set the scheduler to open Excel in a minimized window.

Frustrated,
Toby Erkson
Oregon, USA

Toby Erkson
Oregon, USA

T

Toby Erkson

After some analyzing it seems View | Sized with Window" seems to be the culprit.

Open workbook. Select chart. Select "Sized with Window". This is simply preparing the chart for our example.

Click the "Restore Down" button (center button, upper right corner of window) to change the window size. Save As... (save the file under a different name).
Exit. Launch Excel and Open the newly named file. Make sure you are on a different sheet (if you stay on the same sheet it doesn't seem to be affected but
other chart sheets that are Sized with Window will be affected). Restore down the window if it's not already. Save As... again; you can use the same filename.
Exit. Launch Excel and Open the file. The chart will be overlapping the axis labels.

Protecting the sheet, even with a password, does not stop this issue. I guess this is a bug with the Sized with Window feature because there is no problem with
this switch turned off.

Oh well,
Toby Erkson
Oregon, USA

Ask a Question