Changing default folder locations??

B.G.

You know the option to change the actual location of the 'My Documents'
folder in XP...well, is there any way to do the same for the pictures, music
and video folders? As far as I know, there is not a similar option for those
folders. Instead, they all default to 'My Documents\My
[Pictures/Music/Videos]'.

The fact is that: having a dual boot system with Vista, I have all of my
personal files under one separate directory (partition). So, I decided to
rearrange my folder structure, under that same directory, from this: 'D:\My
Documents\My [Pictures/Music/Videos]' to this 'D:\
[Documents/Pictures/Music/Videos]', since Vista offers individual location
settings for the default user folders. So, is XP actually unable to locate
music, pictures and videos outside the 'My Documents' folder, or is there
something I'm overlooking?

Good thing i know this lol

Click Start, the Run, type in regedit and press "Enter"..

Navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

Change the values here to the location of where you would like them to point

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Hi B.G,

Relocating the "My Documents" folder (via the My Documents Properties)
relocates the sub-folders (My Pictures and My Music) as well. See the
following KB article:

How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310147

To move other shell folders manually, follow the steps given by Jonathan.
There are atleast two freeware utilities that can automate the procedure for
you.

Tweak UI for Windows XP:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/tweakui.htm

Using FolderRedirector utility to redirect special folders in Windows XP:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/folderredirector.htm

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
WindowsR XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

You know the option to change the actual location of the 'My Documents'
folder in XP...well, is there any way to do the same for the pictures, music
and video folders? As far as I know, there is not a similar option for those
folders. Instead, they all default to 'My Documents\My
[Pictures/Music/Videos]'.

The fact is that: having a dual boot system with Vista, I have all of my
personal files under one separate directory (partition). So, I decided to
rearrange my folder structure, under that same directory, from this: 'D:\My
Documents\My [Pictures/Music/Videos]' to this 'D:\
[Documents/Pictures/Music/Videos]', since Vista offers individual location
settings for the default user folders. So, is XP actually unable to locate
music, pictures and videos outside the 'My Documents' folder, or is there
something I'm overlooking?

Bill G.

Ok, Thanks a lot guys. I actually had TweakUi, but haven't reinstalled
after the format for the dual-boot setup. I should have known. Thanks a lot
again!