Changing CPU cooler

Reaction score
When Floppy came round we/he had great difficulty installing the Arctic Cooler 7 Freezer Pro to my CPU, so we ended up using the stock cooler, however after looking at it very carefully i have worked out how to do it, so just wondering, can i use just a normal tissue to get rid of the thermal paste on their underneath the stock cooler to remove it or do i need something special? (Can't remember what Floppy used)

The guide says i can, but would prefer more indepth! :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes, I must confess that bloody cooler tested my patience.... ;)

Ok, truth is, I had never come across that type of fixing before, had we had more time, I could have fitted it, but you had work at 3.30 did you not?

To be honest, I looked at that cooler and in my opinion the stock one would probably do just as good a job.

In the Bios we had 34C. Admittedly not under load but that's good enough for me.

If you really want to change the cooler I'd suggest getting a Zalman, Scythe or Noctua.

The stuff I used to clean all CPU/cooler surfaces and clean off all thermal compound was isopropyl alcohol applied with a clean cloth. Available from most chemists for around a fiver a bottle. You may have to tell them what you want it for though cos alkies try and buy that stuff :D

Cotton buds are also good, used with alcohol, to clean up some areas.

The stock cooler had a thermal pad on it, which was used. Not ideal, but as I mentioned we didn't have a great deal of time. It will, however, be quite difficult to clean off.

If the Gigabyte motherboard has temperature monitoring software on it's CD, install it and report here with temps. If not, download and use Speedfan or similar.

I don't think temps is your problem but I could be wrong.

How's Vista then? What games are running? Did you set your speakers up ok?

Keep us posted.

Reaction score
Yeah indeed hehe work sucked thinking about this at home :p (But was good because i came home to the internet stalled thanks to dad)

The reason i want to put it in is i may as well since i bought it ;) And if it does get a few degrees down, no harm eh! Also on www.overclockers.co.uk the reviews were nothing but good for the arctic one ;) But i'll probably invest in a good one later on once money arrived.

Yeah will look at temps later tonight, am going to do a massive cable managment tomorrow to pass the time! The GFX size still stuns me!

Vista is pretty sweet, looks very nice indeed. Having some issues such as steam but that's fixed now, it doesn't have ask you to verify everything you basically do! But i surpose that's part of the "safety".

So far only GRAW and Crysis running, havn't got that many! My internet is being incredibly slow tonight as so will try to re-install CS:S and Bioshock tomorrow, my games choice is appalling! GRAW looks decent with everything maxed out of course :p

Speakers were a doddle, although the centre speaker doesn't seem to be work correctly atm, even though in the sound options it works, but i'll try to get around this.

Am going to buy the Logitech G11 board tomorrow or next week, (i get paid tomorrow apparently), blue theme for me, as the speakers LED is blue too which is cool.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah, the GTX is a monster, and i thought my old GTS was big! Worth it though!
nod.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The G11 is a good buy :thumb:

I actually bought the G15 which made me poorer by £15.00 just to have a little flap up LCD screen. All it does, basically, is annoy you and keep catching your eye.

I wouldn't mind if I could lock it to one display but I can't, it keeps scrolling through about five different functions.

And the media controls are below it, so I have to lift the screen up to access them.

Gaaaahhh.... :mad:

It seems that always getting 'the best' is not always the best option.

So - if anybody is trying to choose between the G11 and G15 - go for the G11.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i must admit i had bit of an argument with my arctic cooler 64 when i fitted it, if i'd have taken the motherboard out of my case it would probably have been easier but i was being lazy

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Belloni said:
Am going to buy the Logitech G11 board tomorrow or next week, (i get paid tomorrow apparently), blue theme for me, as the speakers LED is blue too which is cool.

I've got the G11 here too, it's a good keyboard although it took me a little while to get used to tha layout! The memory keys are very handy for gaming, and the volume wheel is something I use quite a bit :)

Ask a Question