Change 'display as' in Select Names when composing new email

I am trying to view my contacts when I am composing a new email; under the
select names, display as, from first name first to last name first. Is this
at all possible? Everywhere else contacts are viewed by last name, except
here.

When I go to compose a new email message, using my business contact list, I
come up with SMTP and FAX information; I just want the email addresses to
come up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. These two issues are driving my boss
nuts!

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Your Outlook version would be helpful.
The most frequent question asked about the Outlook Address Book is "why
won't it sort the way I told it to?" Simple answer. Even though we all know
that our Outlook Address Book is simply a view of our Contacts, Microsoft
did not configure it to abide by the settings we chose for our Contacts.
Instead, they hid the sort settings for the Outlook Address Book where no
one could ever find them. Depending on your version and mail support mode of
Outlook, you can sort the Outlook Address Book this way:

98/2000 in Corporate/Workgroup mode:
Tools menu > Services > Highlight the Outlook Address Book service > Click
Properties > Set sort order

98/2000 Internet Mail Only:
Tools menu > Address Book > View menu > Sort by

Outlook 2002/2003:
Go to Tools > E-mail accounts > View or change existing directories or
address books > Outlook Address Book > Change. > Set your sort order there

Note that your options are only to sort by "First, Last" or by "File As." So
if you want your Outlook Address Book to sort by "Last, First," or by
"Company" you must have your Contacts' File As fields configured that way.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news:D[email protected]...

I'm so sorry - I am using Outlook 2003 and thanks so much for the help.

Any ideas on this issue:

When I go to compose a new email message, using my business contact list,
I come up with SMTP and FAX information; I just want the email addresses to
come up. Can I get rid of the lines with the fax numbers so they don't
appear. There are too many to go through each time.

Debbie

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

Outlook considers fax numbers to be valid electronic addresses, since there
are many client- and server-based components that can use such addresses.

One method to hide fax numbers from the address book is to prefix the fax
number with one or more letters (maybe B for business fax, H for home, O for
other). If the fax number begins with a letter, Outlook won't show it in the
address book.

There are a couple of utilities that can help you hide fax numbers from the
address book. See:
http://www.rsoutlook.com/us/rshifa.htm
http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outlook_Solutions.htm (Hide Fax Numbers)
http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/toolbox/

Another way to avoid having fax numbers appear in the address book is
simply not to enter data in the fax fields. Put fax numbers in some other
(non-phone) fields.

--

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

Thanks for your help with the Outlook 2003 Contact issues I had. Here’s a
link I found that doesn’t cost anything
In regard to the fax number issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/305361/en-us

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

Brian Tillman

Change Order of ''display as'' names
Thanks for your help with the Outlook 2003 Contact issues I had.
Here’s a link I found that doesn’t cost anything
In regard to the fax number issues.

And Russ's first suggestion to you about prefixing the fax number with an
alphabetic also didn't cost anything and would have worked as well as the
method described in the article you cited.