Chainsaws Kill!

Reaction score
I did not want to hijack Rush's thread so decided to post this.

Sorry if it goes on a bit, but safety with chainsaws is something even I do not joke about. I do joke about a lot on this site, but this is one issue I’m going to be serious on & always will be.

I'm a trained chainsaw operator with over 15 years of forestry experience behind me. But when EVER I use a chainsaw I wear my safety gear of: Chainsaw protection trousers, chainsaw boots, chainsaw mitts & a forestry hard hat-ear defenders-face visor, even if just cutting one bit of wood.

Chainsaws kill, it's simple as that!

After the storms of 87 a local man went to B&Q and bought a chainsaw, all he got for protection was a pair of goggles & a pair of gloves, he goes home fuels up the saw and climbs a ladder to start cutting a branch down 9 feet up. A bit later his wife comes out to find saw sticking in the ground and what looks like a football by it.

Sadly it was not a football but the mans head, he slipped and cut his own head off.

I'm sorry if this upsets some of you, I never would intentionally go about upsetting anyone on this site it’s just the one thing that gets me on my soapbox.
Cheers for listening & reading
Murdoch

Reaction score
That is fair comment, and the safety factor should be adhered to.....

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Good advice indeed Murdoch :thumb:

If I remember correctly - wasn't there also a case fairly recently where a man up a ladder using a chainsaw with his wife standing below, slipped and killed her?

Reaction score
Sadly yes, The Health & Safety Executive publishes a yearly list of these accidents with Chainsaws, its not nice reading. When at college about 13 years ago one lecturer showed us the real pictures of what these injuries can do from photos take in A&E. All his advice & training he gave from then on was listened to by everyone!

Reaction score
Cheers Murdoch, a very sobering thought on dangerous accidents with chainsaws

Reaction score
thanks for this

im glad to hear that you are a true professional
I have always been scared of using a chainsaw I do think its very dangerous

so its imperative to wear all that protective clothing?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
psd99 said:
...so its imperative to wear all that protective clothing?

yes, if you're not wearing it and slip then your in big trouble

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
ive used a chainsaw on a few occasions, the only protective gear i wear is hearing protection, eyewear adn my trusty boots.
think im taking risks? or is it one of those "pay attention to what you are doing" type accidents?

Reaction score
wear chainsaw protection ar all times

Alf said:
ive used a chainsaw on a few occasions, the only protective gear i wear is hearing protection, eyewear adn my trusty boots.
think im taking risks? or is it one of those "pay attention to what you are doing" type accidents?
Yes! Does not matter if you are switched on 100% accidents happen. If you cut a branch on a tree in a few years it will grow back. If you do the same to your arm or leg will it grow back?? It's better to be safe than crippled or worse dead!!

Reaction score
murdoch some questions if u dont mind

1. what got u into chainsawing?

2. what do u mainly cut?

3. ever been in danger?

4. ever seen amateurs living dangerously with chainsaws?

thanks

psd99

Reaction score
wear protection

psd99 said:
murdoch some questions if u dont mind

1. what got u into chainsawing?

2. what do u mainly cut?

3. ever been in danger?

4. ever seen amateurs living dangerously with chainsaws?

thanks

psd99
1. Lived near a farm so it seemed natural to go and work outside
2. Nowadays mostly logs for the fire, some felling of trees for friends and the odd large tree to keep my skills up.
3. A chainsaw is dangerous in it's self, but clearing windblown trees from the storms of 87 & 90 comes to mind
4. Go to B&Q and buy a saw, the safety kit you get is a pair of goggles and gloves. Put it this way if someone came to take work for me or in my garden and they did not have any chainsaw protection gear i would tell the to leave.
It takes 5 minutes to put the gear on, it saves lives!

Ask a Question