CD-RW not reading CDs

Bill Chatfield

I am running Windows XP Pro - build 2600 xpsp2.030422-1633 sp1
I am using Roxio Easy CD Creator 6

The CD-RW drive shows up in Explorer as: CD-RW (E)

I assume the machine recognizes the drive
it opens and closes properly

I put a CR-RW disc in the drive - right click PROPERTIES - it does not show
the title of the CD - it used to
- when I click on WRITE THESE FILES TO CD - it states - "No disc in drive" -
which I know is not the case

This machine has been working fine with the same CD-RW for quite some time -
I think the problem began after I cleaned the drive with a CD Drive Cleaner
CD or AOL 9.0 was installed - I am not sure if either of these events caused
the problem. I did upgrade from Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 to 6 after the
problem occurred but it had no effect on the situation.

I did a search at Google and came up with a suggestion about deleting the
'upperfilters' and 'lowerfilters' in the reg key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11C
E-BFC1-08002BE10318}
then rebooting

The machine in question is at work - I'd like to have a few other things to
try when I get there Monday. Any help greatly appreciated

TIA
Bill Chatfield

If you are using easy creator you need to turn off the xp
burning. On cd-rw Rt, click> properties> on the recording
tab un-check unable recording on this drive.

the use dgag and drop from EC to format the drive or use
EC to burn.

I would try applying the many patches that Roxio released once XP was released. There are many problems with Roxio and Win XP that can be fixed by patching it. Check out www.roxio.com.

Bill Chatfield

Ty,

Thanks for the reply - I have always kept this machine updated with Roxio
upgrades - BUT - the latest update for version 6 has not worked for me - 3
times I have tried to install it and 3 times it has caused the machine to
re-boot in 'safe mode' - thank God for GO BACK - I do not have the December
18th update installed here and I know I don't at work - will check updates
there Monday - thanks again

Bill Chatfield

I would try applying the many patches that Roxio released once XP was
released. There are many problems with Roxio and Win XP that can be fixed
by patching it. Check out www.roxio.com.

Bill Chatfield

Thanks - I will try this

Bill Chatfield

If you are using easy creator you need to turn off the xp
burning. On cd-rw Rt, click> properties> on the recording
tab un-check unable recording on this drive.

the use dgag and drop from EC to format the drive or use
EC to burn.

Alex Nichol

Bill said:
I am running Windows XP Pro - build 2600 xpsp2.030422-1633 sp1
I am using Roxio Easy CD Creator 6

The CD-RW drive shows up in Explorer as: CD-RW (E)

I assume the machine recognizes the drive
it opens and closes properly

I put a CR-RW disc in the drive - right click PROPERTIES - it does not show
the title of the CD - it used to
- when I click on WRITE THESE FILES TO CD - it states - "No disc in drive" -
which I know is not the case

If you are using Easy CD Creator, you should turn off that inbuilt
burning, which is only going to do exactly what you could do in Easy CD
Classic. It is not like Drag to Disk, and they will fight. see
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

Bill Chatfield

Thanks Al,

Bill Chatfield