CD-R/RW, WON'T!!!!!!

G

Hi,
I tried to burn some music to disc and had error. (using Nero)
On further investigation, also found that WMP 9 won't play or burn either.
Bottom line is that samsung CD-R/RW SW-248F can't read or write! It will accept a audio/data disc and attempt to read it (neon flashes) but does no more. I've checked the drivers and they seem ok (?) I've checked the autorun and it's on. It doesn't show up as a problem in device manager. I've deleted and reloaded Nero and WMP 9 to no avail. I know its not a power fault as the drive will spin the disc.
I don't know what else to try!
Any ideas anybody?
PS; The DVD/CD-Rom drive works ok.

TIA
J.J.

G

Verify with the manufacturer that the drive is using DMA by default. Some drives (such as my Plexwriter) require an additional jumper. Your post was unclear as to the drive being newly installed, or was working and stopped.

M

Mike

Although the cdrw drive reports as ok, that is not to say that the laser
inside can read or write to a cdr/cdrw.. the fact that it can't should tell
you that the laser no longer functions as it should, and either needs
cleaning to see if that helps, or replacement of the whole unit for a new
one that does FULLY work properly..

Billy said:
Verify with the manufacturer that the drive is using DMA by default. Some
drives (such as my Plexwriter) require an additional jumper. Your post was
unclear as to the drive being newly installed, or was working and stopped.will accept a audio/data disc and attempt to read it (neon flashes) but does
no more. I've checked the drivers and they seem ok (?) I've checked the
autorun and it's on. It doesn't show up as a problem in device manager. I've
deleted and reloaded Nero and WMP 9 to no avail. I know its not a power
fault as the drive will spin the disc.

G

Nathan, what a *STAR*.
Using your links led me to use the 'error properties', which in turn gave me the answer I've been looking for for the past two days.(Novice user you see.)

"The problem is typically cause by a faulty cable from the drive to the computer",

which I take to be the IDE cable, is it? Anyway, it advises the replacement of the cable, which is still under warranty. Brilliant!!!
Thanks again Nathan,
J.J.

Ask a Question