CD and floppy drives won't read media

Reaction score
I'm running windows xp. I have one cd-rw, one dvd and one floppy drive. These are the same devices that came with the machine a few years ago. They used to work great. All to a sudden none of the cd drives and the floppy drive will work. Now when inserting a cd in the drive, the cursor turns to a disk like autrun is starting but then it stops. The control panel sees the devices but says nothing is in the drives. Device manager doesn't show any conflicts. I've tried updating drivers but windows says my drivers are current. I can listen to music cds through media player but media player will not auto start when I put in a mucic cd. I'm not sure exactly when this problem started, I don't use the drives much. I also tried starting a game cd while holding down the shift key. I then pushed the play button on the drive but nothing happened. I saw that advise posted on another website with a similar problem.

Does anyone have an idea about what's wrong? The cd drives seem to be mechanically working fine, I just can't get the information recognized by windows. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
try restore to an earlier time, if you can remember when the drives last worked go back to that date.

Reaction score
When I first found the problem I tried but it didn't work. I really don't know when exactly the problem started.

Ask a Question