CCleaner for Linux!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Tried this with my Mint V8.0 distro.

I selected most options but not the ones that took a long time or the 'experimental' one.

It cleared 713Mb of stuff and I had to log in to the forum again which shows it's doing some stuff it claims to do.

It didn't like Open Office or Vuse though, it listed stuff to delete but threw up error messages when it tried to, 49 items for both in all.

I am not going to question that too deeply ;)

Oh, and yes, I did shut all applications down first.

Thanks for the link Mr Quad.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
It didn't like Open Office or Vuse though, it listed stuff to delete but threw up error messages when it tried to, 49 items for both in all.

I had some odd 20,000 + errors before I realised I should not have run it in user mode with everything checked :D

But it does a good job of cleaning.

Linux is headed in the same direction as Windows, will we need all the variants that we have to use in Windows for Linux too, I sure hope not! :(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
oh, there is crap on Linux, or Linux is crap that you have to clean it ....

;)

... I'm hiding

:lol:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
oh, there is crap on Linux, or Linux is crap that you have to clean it ....

If you say one more word against Linux, I will take off your kevlar jacket and throw the bricks at YOU for a change
laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Mucks = Natural born cynic

Which sometimes is no bad thing.

Said it once, I'll say it agin - Linux Mint 8 first ever Linux Distro I ever felt comfortable with.

Hmm.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Mucks = Natural born cynic

Which sometimes is no bad thing.

Said it once, I'll say it agin - Linux Mint 8 first ever Linux Distro I ever felt comfortable with.

Hmm.

Without Mucks it would be very boring
bowdown.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
hey, I did my 18 months, with hard labour, then I found a "game" I liked to play :p

:wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I must confess I was surprised to see such an application for Linux but I suppose every OS with a GUI will store some crap in the form of cookies, cache etc.

Prior to 2010 every single Linux Distro I tried had frustrations and quirks, with the possible exception of Suse 8 or 9 but even that took a lot of configuring initially.

Try Ubuntu or Mint Mr Mucks, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, although using one of the user-friendly distros robs you of all nerd and geek status ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Nice find Quad. Regained 2.27 GB of hdd space and deleted 7990 files on me Mandy install :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Nice find Quad. Regained 2.27 GB of hdd space and deleted 7990 files on me Mandy install :D

Glad I could come to your rescue with that. I am really surprised that such a big amount of space was being blocked by the unnecessary files on your machine.

There are many builtin cleaners with Ubuntu like Computer Janitor and and extensive cleaning solution in the Ubuntu Tweak software which one could install. Ubuntu Tweak is a great piece of software which is mandatory for those who lack the real skills to maintain and manage the box especially those who do not like text based command line options and prefer GUI route.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
+1 for Ubuntu Tweak! That "Computer Janitor" used to be... ahem... a bit too effective, but it has mended its evil ways.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Urmas said:
+1 for Ubuntu Tweak! That "Computer Janitor" used to be... ahem... a bit too effective, but it has mended its evil ways.

Urmas thank you for your nod to Ubuntu Tweak, I just created a thread for that software before I saw your message :)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Hey I just drove 250 km in snow & sleet just to give that nod!

laughingsmiley.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Yup. Been "gone fishing" since Friday (250 NNE of Helsinki), and this morning there was 5 cm of that white stuff on the ground. Summer tyres, naturally. The first 150 km were really, really interesting... then – approaching the tropical south – friction returned to duty.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Glad I could come to your rescue with that. I am really surprised that such a big amount of space was being blocked by the unnecessary files on your machine.

There are many builtin cleaners with Ubuntu like Computer Janitor and and extensive cleaning solution in the Ubuntu Tweak software which one could install. Ubuntu Tweak is a great piece of software which is mandatory for those who lack the real skills to maintain and manage the box especially those who do not like text based command line options and prefer GUI route.

It did the job too well as my FF bookmarks disapeared.
nod.gif

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
It did the job too well as my FF bookmarks disapeared.
nod.gif

Well the setting in the CCleaner was to remove the bookmarks and that is why they disappeared. Did you check that out? ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Well the setting in the CCleaner was to remove the bookmarks and that is why they disappeared. Did you check that out? ;)

:blush: course I did
wallbash.gif

Ask a Question