Catastrophic failure

J. Marshall Latham

I have written an ASP.NET web app in C# that is trying to connect to a
database using OleDb. I put code in a dll that uses another dll to create a
connection object (and open it if requested) to send back to the web app to
connect to the database.

I am getting the following error when I change anything in my web app and
recompile.
Catastrophic failure

Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Catastrophic failure

Stack Trace:

[OleDbException (0x8000ffff): Catastrophic failure]
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.ProcessResults(Int32 hr)
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.CreateProviderError(Int32 hr)
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.CreateProvider(OleDbConnectionString
constr)
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()

I reset IIS to clear the problem (the only way that I have found other than
rebooting), and it will then work just fine. But if I adjust my code (the
web app not either of the dlls) and recompile, it will throw the
Catastrophic failure when I access the page. My coworker thought that it
might be because I was using a static module to create the connection, so I
adjusted the dll to be non-static. That did not solve the problem.

Is there anyway to prevent this failure, and is there anyway to clear this
error without having to restart IIS?

Kevin Yu

Hi Marshall,

I'd like to know what kind of database system you are working on? And
what's the version of it? If you are using a SQL Server, please try to
check the following link to get a workaround.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;243349

Or you can simply use a SQL server data provider to recover it.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to reply to the post.

Kevin Yu
=======
rights."

--------------------
| From: "J. Marshall Latham" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Catastrophic failure
| Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:06:01 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.general
|
| I have written an ASP.NET web app in C# that is trying to connect to a
| database using OleDb. I put code in a dll that uses another dll to
create a
| connection object (and open it if requested) to send back to the web app
| connect to the database.
|
| I am getting the following error when I change anything in my web app and
| recompile.
| Catastrophic failure
| current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information
| about the error and where it originated in the code.
|
| Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Catastrophic failure
|
| Stack Trace:
|
| [OleDbException (0x8000ffff): Catastrophic failure]
| System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.ProcessResults(Int32 hr)
| System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.CreateProviderError(Int32 hr)
| System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.CreateProvider(OleDbConnectionString
| constr)
| System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()
|

| I reset IIS to clear the problem (the only way that I have found other
than
| rebooting), and it will then work just fine. But if I adjust my code (the
| web app not either of the dlls) and recompile, it will throw the
| Catastrophic failure when I access the page. My coworker thought that it
| might be because I was using a static module to create the connection, so
| adjusted the dll to be non-static. That did not solve the problem.
|
| Is there anyway to prevent this failure, and is there anyway to clear this
| error without having to restart IIS?

J. Marshall Latham

I am connecting to an Informix database. I believe it is 9.2. I don't
remember the version. I am using Informix ODBC and Invormix OleDb
drivers/providers.

JML

Kevin Yu

Hi Marshall,

I've done some research on this issue. This might be caused by the Informix
ODBC driver. Some certain versions of Informix ODBC driver isn't compatable
with Microsoft Transaction Server (MTS). That's why your IIS cannot connect
to the database. You can check it out at the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197815

Please try to contact Informix for a driver that supports MTS. If there
isn't one availabe, please try to revert it to an old version.

HTH

Kevin Yu
=======
rights."
--------------------
| From: "J. Marshall Latham" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Catastrophic failure
| Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:24:49 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.general
|
| I am connecting to an Informix database. I believe it is 9.2. I don't
| remember the version. I am using Informix ODBC and Invormix OleDb
| drivers/providers.
|
| JML
|

| | > Hi Marshall,
| >
| > I'd like to know what kind of database system you are working on? And
| > what's the version of it? If you are using a SQL Server, please try to
| > check the following link to get a workaround.
| >
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;243349
| >
| > Or you can simply use a SQL server data provider to recover it.
| >
| > If anything is unclear, please feel free to reply to the post.
| >
| > Kevin Yu
| > =======
| > "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| > rights."

John Eikanger [MSFT]

Hi, Marshall

You might also check if there are more than one connections open using this
driver, If there are see if closing the first connection before opening
another resolves the problem. If so, this is likely due to a bug in the
informix/db2 driver.

Thank you for choosing the MSDN Managed Newsgroups,

John Eikanger
Microsoft Developer Support

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Microsoft highly recommends to all of our customers that they visit the
steps listed to improve your computer’s security."