Can't work formulas in sheets copied from the web

G

Good afternoon
I must be doing something wrong, or maybe there's something I'm just not doing. Or maybe even a person can't

Here goes
I copied and pasted a table of some sort from a sports related site, into a worksheet. Looks good, fit right in. All the numbers are there, sorta. I can't add or anything else for that matter, any numbers in any cells here. The numbers in all cells aren't centered, and not to the right. They are all just a little bit off from 'right'. I tried to change all cells using the top left (empty, above the '1' and right of the 'A') cell, to numbers. NOthing. Tried changing all to GENERAL. Nothing works. Is there some sort of trick to get this whole table to work so that I can create a few formulas and do some figuring?
Please write to me at my personal address or copy if you can and send it to me. I'd certainly appreciate it. Thank you, Rick. Just remove the 'whodunnit'.

G

Gord Dibben

Ricky

The "numbers" probably came in as text.

Sounds like you may also have an extra space in them.

First.....copy an empty cell and select your data then Paste
Special>Add>OK>Esc.

Any help?

If no, enter this formula in a cell =LEN(cellref) where cellref is a cell
with one of the "numbers".

Same length as the number?

Other things to try if you have space(s) in the cells.

=TRIM(cellref) should clear spaces.

Post back if no joy.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

Ask a Question