Can't uninstall hotfix

I am currently trying to install Norton Antivirus 2004
Professional, but during activation I came across an
error, and symantec already had a solution that required
me to uninstall norton and a hotfix.....problem is I
can't uninstall the hotfix, it is called KB828741. I got
this computer with Windows service pack 1 already on it
and i think that may be why I cant remove the program via
the control panel, but I am not sure if that is the
cause. Either way I cant uninstall the hotfix and I
haven't the slightest clue why. Please help.... bow to
your superior wisdom.

Jody Atkins

If you go to this location on your Hard Drive:

C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB828741$\spuninst (c: is the drive letter of your
O/S partition)

You should see a spuninst.exe

Double click this file and it will uninstall the hotfix. Also, you did not
reference what version of Windows you are running. If you are running
Windows XP then the above path will be correct. If you are running Windows
2000 SP1 then the WINDOWS reference in the above directory line will be
WINNT. If you still can't uninstall it while in the O/S then the last
option is to boot into Recovery Console and then drill down to the folder
above. While in that folder run:

Batch spuninst.txt (it has to be exactly like this and with the space)
Exit (which will reboot the machine)

Now go into windows and check for the above folder in the Windows folder
and it should not be present.

After installing your third party software I recommend reinstalling hotfix:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828741

Good Luck and have a nice day

Best Regards,
Jody Atkins
Microsoft Online Support Engineer
from your issue.
Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help.