Can't See Programs in Start Menu

TomG

When I go to Start/All Programs, the list of all my programs i
apparently to large to fit on my screen anymore. I expected some lin
to the right somewhere so I could see what is to the right of th
screen, but there is nothing. As I install any new programs, I get th
"New Program" message in tan when I click on start, but can't see t
the right of the screen. Is there any way to see those hidden programs
Thanks. To

Nepatsfan

TomG said:
When I go to Start/All Programs, the list of all my programs is
apparently to large to fit on my screen anymore. I expected some link
to the right somewhere so I could see what is to the right of the
screen, but there is nothing. As I install any new programs, I get the
"New Program" message in tan when I click on start, but can't see to
the right of the screen. Is there any way to see those hidden programs?
Thanks. Tom

You've got two options. The first is to change the settings for your Start
menu to scroll programs. This isn't the solution I'd opt for but I'll pass
it along anyway.

Right click on the Start button and select Properties from the menu.
Click on the Start menu tab.
On the Start menu page, hit the Customize button.
If you're using the Windows XP style Start menu, do the following.
In Customize Start Menu, click on the Advanced tab.
In the Start menu items box, put a check mark in the box next to "Scroll
programs".
If you're using the Classic Start menu, check "Scroll programs" in the
Advanced start menu items box.
Also, make sure "Use Personalized Menus" is unchecked.
Click OK.

You will now have one long menu that will require you to go through all your
programs to get to the ones at the end of the list. Not something I'd want
to do on a regular basis.

An alternative to this approach is to organize your Start menu. Here's how;

Right click on the Start button and select Explore from the menu.
Right click on the Start button again except this time select Explore All
Users.
You should now have these two folders opened, substituting the name of your
account where it says Your Account.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Account\Start Menu\Programs

Your start menu is constructed by combining the content of these two
folders.
You can organize them just as you would any folder on the computer. Create
subfolders in the Programs folder to group security programs, games, etc..
You can move program shortcuts into any folder you want.

Take a look at the second part of this article, "Reorganize the folders in
your
All Programs menu", for more information.

Customize your Start menu
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/personalize/startmenu.mspx

Good luck

Nepatsfan

TomG

Nepatsfan;3193443 said:
"TomG" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

When I go to Start/All Programs, the list of all my programs is
apparently to large to fit on my screen anymore. I expected some link
to the right somewhere so I could see what is to the right of the
screen, but there is nothing. As I install any new programs, I ge
the
"New Program" message in tan when I click on start, but can't see to
the right of the screen. Is there any way to see those hidde
programs?
Thanks. Tom

--
TomG-

[...]

http://tinyurl.com/edz7r

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Thanks for the help! To

Panic

You can edit your programs and create new "generic" folders and drag
appropriate programs into those folders.
I created a COM folder and dragged all my communications stuff into; and a
MUSIC folder and dragged all my music programs into it; an ART folder, etc,
etc. This will greatly reduce what you see when you open Programs.

It actually helps you find things by doing that. Rather than trying to
remember the name of your art program you just click on the ART folder and
there they all are. Another response you have already told you how to edit
your program listings.