Can't scanpst

LarryW

I'm running Vista Ultimate and upgraded Office 2003 to Office 2007. I was
having a problem with some messages sticking in the Outbox so decided to do a
scanpst on my .pst file. As soon as it starts it reports that there's an
error and it can't scan the file and didn't make any changes. If I use the
Office 2003 scanpst on an XP machine, it scans and repairs the .pst file but
then Outlook 2007 on Vista can't even open the file. Any ideas what to do?
Thanks!

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Was this an in place upgrade of Outlook? If so, did you create a new profile
right away and migrate your Outlook data properly? Have you checked to make
sure that Outlook has actually exited completely before running the IRT?

LarryW

Yes, it was an in place upgrade. No, didn't know anything about creating a new
profile or migrating data (Where are the instructions for doing this?) Yes,
Outlook has exited completely before I try running scanpst.

I need to be able to use the same file from an XP Office 2003 as from Vista
Office 2007 (dual-boot). I can do this between a system in which I did a
from-scratch install of Office 2007 and another XP Office 2003 system.

From: "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Can't scanpst
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:20:46 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
LarryW said:
I'm running Vista Ultimate and upgraded Office 2003 to Office 2007. I was
having a problem with some messages sticking in the Outbox so decided to
do a
scanpst on my .pst file. As soon as it starts it reports that there's an
error and it can't scan the file and didn't make any changes. If I use
the
Office 2003 scanpst on an XP machine, it scans and repairs the .pst file
but
then Outlook 2007 on Vista can't even open the file. Any ideas what to
do?
Thanks!

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

The instruction for how to migrate to a new installation have been posted
here countless times. In place upgrades simply do not work until you do
that.
Do you back up your data?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

From: "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:20:46 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

LarryW said:
I'm running Vista Ultimate and upgraded Office 2003 to Office 2007. I
was
having a problem with some messages sticking in the Outbox so decided
do a
scanpst on my .pst file. As soon as it starts it reports that there's
an
error and it can't scan the file and didn't make any changes. If I use
the
Office 2003 scanpst on an XP machine, it scans and repairs the .pst
file
but
then Outlook 2007 on Vista can't even open the file. Any ideas what to
do?
Thanks!

LarryW

Okay, how about posting them countless + 1 times :) I tried googling but I
must not be using the right keywords because I can't find anything. Even
though I have some backups, it's been way too long since I did the upgrade and
this was the first time I realized there was a problem so a backup wouldn't do
much good. Is there a way to install the upgrade as a clean install? Looks
like I may have to just start from scratch.

From: "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:20:46 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

[...]

There's no need to reinstall Office clean, nor would it help. All you need
to do is create a new Outlook profile as the first troubleshooting step. It
will create a new blank PST file by default, which obviously you don't want
to use. Once you have the new profile created, just open the PST file you do
want to use and set it to be the default for this profile. Restart Outlook,
and the close the new PST file that Outlook created.

Although PST files are perfectly compatible between Outlook 2003 and 2007,
there are some differences in how they are used and the IRT utility is
different. The IRT was particularly buggy in the Outlook 2007 beta, and all
the bugs may not have been worked out. It is entirely possible that the 2007
IRT won't run on a PST created in Outlook 2003. I haven't run into anyone
who's tried it. I sure never would. I never try to share PST files between
different Outlook versions. Outlook 2007 can barely run as it is. It sure
doesn't need any challenges. Outlook's ability to handle PST files has grown
more fragile and problematic with each new version, and Outlook 2007 is by
far the worst.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

From: "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:20:46 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

[...]

Okay, thanks for the info. When I get some time I'll give that a try. I have
been able to share a PST between Office 2003 and Office 2007 and can run the
Office 2007 IRT on it; if I use the Office 2003 IRT on it then it can't be used
by 2007. The biggest difference I see is that the situation in which I can't
even run the 2007 IRT is that it was an upgrade install whereas the other
situation was a from scratch install.