Can't play dvd made in movie maker

Reaction score
Movie Maker video won't play on my DVD

I have made a video project in Movie Maker which I can't get to burn onto a dvd that I can watch on any of my home dvd players. It will only playback on my computer. i have visited various forums & from what I can tell I should save as DV-AVI(NTSC) but I don't seem to get this option. Have saved as DV-AVI(PAL) but this doesn't seem to have worked either. I save the project then burn to dvd via Roxio Easy CD&DVD Creator 6. The burn always works ok but discs just don't play.
Please help - getting desperate! Have spent hours & hours on this as well as wasted tons of dvd's!
Have just tried again. Can't use save to cd option on WMM as this records into HIGH-MAT which none of my dvd players support.
Tried again to save as DV-AVI (NTSC) but got a meassage saying:
" your movie cannot be created because the movie file exceeds the 4 gigabyte file size limit supported by the current file system FAT32. Select a different svae setting or convert your file system to NTFS"
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS MEANS OR WHAT I CAN DO!!!!
This obviously explains why it didn't work last time I guess but I really am a novice at this sort of thing.
All help would be greatly appreciated - all i want to do is put a 20min clip of my kids at Xmas onto dvd to send to their grandparents!
HELP!!!!
Have now worked out that I need to use the DVD Builder section. I have finally managed to produce a DVD via this but it won't play properly. keeps stopping/jamming etc. When I went to burn, it did say "the file may not display properly on your tv" - why is this & is there anything I can do.
Do i still need to try to convert from WAV to AVI?
Once again:
All help would be greatly appreciated - all i want to do is put a 20min clip of my kids at Xmas onto dvd to send to their grandparents!
HELP!!!!

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
PAL is usually used for tv's in england, NTSC is usually used for tv's in america and other places. NFTS is a type of file system that is usually used with windows XP and Vista, FAT 32 is usually used for windows 98 and earlier.

Never used Roxio but it appeares that they have included a decent tutorial in the program.

. Take the tutorial. If this article didn't tell you everything you could possibly hope to know about Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 Platinum Edition, you're in luck. Click the Tutorial icon in the Easy CD & DVD Creator Home utility for an animated walk-through of the entire suite.
pixgray.gif

happywave.gif

Reaction score
I tried the tutorial but really didn't follow. If NTSC is for american tv's that could be where the problem is as that's the only option I have for saving as an avi file & i am in the uk. Would reloading MovieMaker maybe work? This was enabled when I bought a FLIP video. Perhaps I may then get the option for UK & PAL.

Will keep playing around.
Thanks x

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
It is always worth a try re-installing programs if they do not work properly as they can get corupted at install sometimes. Sorry can not help further as I do not use vista or Roxio.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

If you have a 20 minute clip that is bigger than 4Gb then i reckon you have either used a High definition camera or the resolution is very big, like 2500 x 1600.

This is the reason it will keep stopping, as your regular dvd player cannot process these high resolutions and your computer has a seperate graphics to do this.

Either get a some bigger DVD (DVD9) 8.5Gb or reduce the quality of the image when you burn it onto DVD.

I don't use Roxio but above is your problem.

When you save the movie file on Movie Maker you get options as to the format, use the one for XBox 360, it will keep the quality and 20 minutes is about 1Gb.

Hope this helps.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Any UK TV or DVD player that was built after 2002 -03 ish should NTSC anyway, all LCD & Plasma do as well as SECAM.

Ask a Question