Can't Open Pages for Writing

G

I seem to have been having a lot of problems with FP, partly due to my newbieness and partly due to problems with SE at my host. Is there a general issue with keeping SE "stable" on a host? I question this because my host seems to do a lot of "problem is fixed, please try again", then another problem arises.

Currently, I am not able to open my pages in write mode on FP. I can download the site with no problem (currently), but I can not save changes to the pages.

I have read several discussions in this group about this and have tried clearing caches, contacting host to run a check on extensions, and checked permissions on my site.....no avail. I downloaded SP3 yesterday, hoping that there might be a magic bullet in it

I have read KB articles on the issues about service.lck and the resolution seems to be in settings on the IIS which is on the host site. In other words, I am trying to be diligent in my research of the issues, but I think I need a pointer. I would really like to talk intelligently (at least a little) to the host (webhost4life) if there is any chance that the problems reside on their end

Pointers? Thanks to anyone who might be able to provide assistance

Thanks - Chuck

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

If you are using 3rd party FTP client you may be breaking the extensions on the host server. Use Publish not FTP to send to host.

Always Open Web before working on it...whether you are working on local copy or remote host Open Web.

| I seem to have been having a lot of problems with FP, partly due to my newbieness and partly due to problems with SE at my host. Is there a general issue with keeping SE "stable" on a host? I question this because my host seems to do a lot of "problem is fixed, please try again", then another problem arises.
|
| Currently, I am not able to open my pages in write mode on FP. I can download the site with no problem (currently), but I can not save changes to the pages.
|
| I have read several discussions in this group about this and have tried clearing caches, contacting host to run a check on extensions, and checked permissions on my site.....no avail. I downloaded SP3 yesterday, hoping that there might be a magic bullet in it.
|
| I have read KB articles on the issues about service.lck and the resolution seems to be in settings on the IIS which is on the host site. In other words, I am trying to be diligent in my research of the issues, but I think I need a pointer. I would really like to talk intelligently (at least a little) to the host (webhost4life) if there is any chance that the problems reside on their end.
|
| Pointers? Thanks to anyone who might be able to provide assistance.
|
| Thanks - Chuck

G

I haven't used an FTP client since I have been publishing directly from FP up to this point......although there have been a couple other times that I was not able to publish. Webhost4life allows FTP through IE and I have looked at that since the current problems came up, but I have not used it to transfer files

In re "open web before working on it".....I always use OPEN WEB to connect to the remote server prior to updating any page. I didn't even know that it was possible to keep a local copy since there is no option to SAVE AS. In the past, when executing FP the connection would be made automatically, but this no longer occurs. How *DO* you keep a local copy?

BTW, my site is very new and I am learning as I go along. I consider myself to have "medium" level skills generally, but my newness is probably the source of some issues. My site is rather disorganized since I have used FP templates to learn about some functionality - the result being several subwebs which I really don't need. I add them to existing web since I cannot view them in my browser since I do not have extensions installed, IIS, etc. I use XP Home

I am at a point where I would rather just start a new, clean web and re-publish.....the only thing that stops me is the idea that I might write over essential files that have been written by the host. Is this a factor?

This group is great and I really have learned a lot through your knowledge.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

Open Web on the host server, then choose Publish and it will prompt you to where you want to save it on your local machine...usually MyWebs.

The subwebs won't be brought down unless you create an empty sub on local first (in my experiences) but don't bother with the subwebs yet - get your server copy down to your local machine.

Most people work on local copy then Publish up - that way if you muck up something you're not messing up your online web, unless you Publish your mistakes of course :)

Robo

| I haven't used an FTP client since I have been publishing directly from FP up to this point......although there have been a couple other times that I was not able to publish. Webhost4life allows FTP through IE and I have looked at that since the current problems came up, but I have not used it to transfer files.
|
| In re "open web before working on it".....I always use OPEN WEB to connect to the remote server prior to updating any page. I didn't even know that it was possible to keep a local copy since there is no option to SAVE AS. In the past, when executing FP the connection would be made automatically, but this no longer occurs. How *DO* you keep a local copy?
|
| BTW, my site is very new and I am learning as I go along. I consider myself to have "medium" level skills generally, but my newness is probably the source of some issues. My site is rather disorganized since I have used FP templates to learn about some functionality - the result being several subwebs which I really don't need. I add them to existing web since I cannot view them in my browser since I do not have extensions installed, IIS, etc. I use XP Home.
|
| I am at a point where I would rather just start a new, clean web and re-publish.....the only thing that stops me is the idea that I might write over essential files that have been written by the host. Is this a factor?
|
| This group is great and I really have learned a lot through your knowledge.

S

Steve Easton

Make sure when you publish:
You have your web open in FrontPage
Select File > Publish web and then make sure you publish to http://yourweb.com
Do *not* publish to a server with FP extensions using FTP in any form as it will corrupt the
extensions and require that they be repaired every time you do.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

Chuck Morrison said:
I seem to have been having a lot of problems with FP, partly due to my newbieness and partly due
to problems with SE at my host. Is there a general issue with keeping SE "stable" on a host? I
question this because my host seems to do a lot of "problem is fixed, please try again", then
another problem arises.
Currently, I am not able to open my pages in write mode on FP. I can download the site with no
problem (currently), but I can not save changes to the pages.
I have read several discussions in this group about this and have tried clearing caches,
contacting host to run a check on extensions, and checked permissions on my site.....no avail. I
downloaded SP3 yesterday, hoping that there might be a magic bullet in it.
I have read KB articles on the issues about service.lck and the resolution seems to be in settings
on the IIS which is on the host site. In other words, I am trying to be diligent in my research of
the issues, but I think I need a pointer. I would really like to talk intelligently (at least a
little) to the host (webhost4life) if there is any chance that the problems reside on their end.

G

I "always" build a new site on my local machine first, then upload it to the host.
For one thing you will always have a backup that way.
To get a copy on your local machine, open your site live and publish back to a directory (folder /My Webs).

Ask a Question