Can't open chm files: "Cannot open the file: mk:@MSITStore:..."

I. R. F.

Tonight I tried opening a chm file and it failed, with that error message.
This happens for any chm file I have tried. I don't know when this broke, I
know I used to be able to open chm files with no trouble but I can't
pinpoint the last time it worked.

I've searched around and found some references to this, but no solution --
the only relevant MSKB is for Win98. I tried regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx, deleting
the hh.dat files, clearing IE's file cache; nothing has helped. I haven't
made any significant recent changed to the system that I can think of.

Any suggestions are appreciated -- this is will be a problem if I don't
resolve it, and I can't think of what else to try.

I'm running XP Pro/SP2, fully patched through Windows Update.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Are you opening the .CHM files via a network share? If so, a recent security
update blocks this.

If opening locally, try this command: regsvr32 itss

I. R. F.

Thank you for the quick response.

The .chm files are local (but I ran into the network share problem at work
last week though!)

But regsvr32 itss did the trick!

Thanks again!

jwayira

Hi Ramesh,
I had a similar problem. All the .chm files I downloaded can't open. I
don't get any warning message though and the command you suggested
doesn't seem to solve the problem. What I get is "DllRegisterServer in
itss suceeded", but still won't open the files. What could be wrong??!

Thanks

Ramesh, MS-MVP

jwayira,

What's the Service Pack and Hotfix level of your system? Right-click one of
the downloaded .CHM file and choose Properties. Click the Unblock button if
one is available, and click OK.

edvro

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"I. R. F." someone@somewhere wrote in message
[...]

-

Dear,
I had same problem. Nothing helped until you gave the simple command
line: regsvr32 itss
Thanks very much.
Best regards,
Edward

Ramesh,

regsvr32 itss has also solved a problem for me. Thanks very much.
I was unable to access .chm help files in ESRI ArcGIS software and also
couldn't access the winxp Help & Support center or any of my Office 2000 help
files.

I'm curious though as to just what itss is and how it resolves the issue?

Just for clarity, my machine is intel, winxp sp2 on a steady diet of
automatic updates.

Thanks again,
Paul