Can't move window or dialog box off-screen

F

Frank D

I've got a very annoying problem that just started in Windows XP Pro about a week ago: when I try to move an open dialog box or window partially off-screen (doesn't matter whether right, left, up, or down), it "bounces" right back into full view so that the whole dialog box is visible and stays in the foreground. This happens in Windows, IE6, Outlook Express, Word, and any other application I try. I'm using the standard Windows XP view with an 800 x 600 screen resolution.

As an example, when I try to move the Regedit window out of the way temporarily so I can view or copy the text of a Help and Support item or instructions on a Web page, the window refuses to stay where I put it -- it always pops right back so that the whole thing is visible, edge-to-edge, top-to-bottom, and covers up the instructions I am trying to read or copy. I can resize a window to make it smaller, but with a dialog box that can't be resized, this prevents me from, say, following the instructions covered by the dialog box or typing or pasting data into Regedit or the dialog box.

Over the past week I've installed a few Microsoft updates. Could one of these have caused the annoying behavior? Is there a setting I can change to stop it?

Thank you for any help.

Frank Dauenhauer

F

Frank D

Sorry, this problem was not with Windows. It was being caused by a TSR program, WinSize, that I installed about two weeks ago and forgot about. It caused the undesirable behavior and turning it off solved the problem.

WinSize is "A taskbar tray application for maintaining window positions. .. . . will automatically apply these positions whenever the windows you have selected are moved or resized from their original place - It will even remember the View settings you have chosen (Large icons, small icons, details, list) . . ."

The options that I set were just to control folder window size and icon type. I never even saw the ones to keep windows or dialog boxes on-screen. Those were set by default and produced the unexpected side-effect. I have turned off the program's "pushing" options and the problem has disappeared. It performs its other tasks well.

Sorry about the false alarm. I should have done more testing before posting.

Frank
================

I've got a very annoying problem that just started in Windows XP Pro about a week ago: when I try to move an open dialog box or window partially off-screen (doesn't matter whether right, left, up, or down), it "bounces" right back into full view so that the whole dialog box is visible and stays in the foreground. This happens in Windows, IE6, Outlook Express, Word, and any other application I try. I'm using the standard Windows XP view with an 800 x 600 screen resolution.

As an example, when I try to move the Regedit window out of the way temporarily so I can view or copy the text of a Help and Support item or instructions on a Web page, the window refuses to stay where I put it -- it always pops right back so that the whole thing is visible, edge-to-edge, top-to-bottom, and covers up the instructions I am trying to read or copy. I can resize a window to make it smaller, but with a dialog box that can't be resized, this prevents me from, say, following the instructions covered by the dialog box or typing or pasting data into Regedit or the dialog box.

Over the past week I've installed a few Microsoft updates. Could one of these have caused the annoying behavior? Is there a setting I can change to stop it?

Thank you for any help.

Frank

Ask a Question