Can't install monitor drivers on Vista

Reaction score
Hi, i've just purchased a new monitor, an LG M228WA to be precise and i want my screen resolution to be 1680x1050.
However my display settings do not have this option so i decided to try and install the drivers for my monitor, which are in the form of .inf files on a cd. However when trying to install these drivers ( update drivers from generic non pnp) vista says that "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is already up to date" and won't let me proceed. This happens when letting windows auto detect and when trying to install manually by selecting their location.
I have a NVidia 8800 GT graphics card and the monitor is connected to my pc from vga on the monitor to DVI on my pc. My PC is a Dell XPS 420.
Hope you can help.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You don't actually need to install the drivers for your monitor but if you really want to go to:

Control Panel/System/Device Manager/Monitors then click the + box and observe the text there it will probably say 'Generic P & P Monitor' or similar.

Right click on the text and select Properties. Select the driver tab, click on update driver then browse to your inf file and select it. It will then either install or Vista will tell you again it doesn't need it.

The resolution choice is actually determined by your graphics card drivers. Install the latest drivers from www.nvidia.com then select the nearest resolution to 1680 x 1050 that you have an option for. 32 bit colour and usually 60Hz refresh rate.

Just because LG recommend that resolution it isn't critical. If it looks good, accept it.

Reaction score
Success

Success! I found that connecting the monitor through DVI to DVI it allowed me to install the drivers and get the resolution the monitor wants!

Thanks for your help... perhaps another reason not to choose Vista?

Ask a Question