Can't install Adobe Reader 8

Chuck Davis

Got a problem on my other computer. Windows XP Pro with SP2 plus all
critical updates since. No viruses or malware.

I have tried to install Reader 8.

Everything goes along smoothly until I get the message, Error 1714; Older
version of Version 8 cannot be removed.

I go to Add & Remove programs to remove Version 7.0.8. Stops with message:
This Patch package could not be opened.

I decide to download 7.0.9 with the idea that after a successful install it
can then be removed. Now I am back to Error 1714; the older version of
Version 7.0.9 cannot be removed.

Any thoughts?

...winston

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=320310

:
: I have tried to install Reader 8.
:
: Everything goes along smoothly until I get the message, Error 1714; Older
: version of Version 8 cannot be removed.
:
: I go to Add & Remove programs to remove Version 7.0.8. Stops with message:
: This Patch package could not be opened.
:
: I decide to download 7.0.9 with the idea that after a successful install it
: can then be removed. Now I am back to Error 1714; the older version of
: Version 7.0.9 cannot be removed.
:
: Any thoughts?
:
:

Chuck Davis

....winston,

Thank you for that link. It led me to this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Last fall, I had replaced the hard drive with a new Maxtor drive. The Maxtor
supplied image copy didn't quite work the way it was supposed to. For
instance the then installed Office 2000 wouldn't work, Detect & Repair
wouldn't work and I couldn't install it again. I finally installed it to the
second hard drive. Saturday, I installed a full version of Office 2003 and
it tried to remove Office 2000, but couldn't remove the contents of Disk 2!

This tool linked to above did the job in both instances. Thank you.

[...]

You're welcome..glad to hear you found a resolution.
...winston

: