Can't Get to FirstAlert Web Site

I use IE 6 although I doubt that is the cause of the problem. I can get to
all web sites EXCEPT one: www.firstalert.com . I friend on the same ISP gets
to it OK. I phoned my ISP and they could not figure out why. In Command
mode trying a Ping to that site times out. Doing a TRACERT shows all hops OK
until it tries firstalert. I have run 3 spyware removers and Norton A/V. No
blocks in the firewall and no cookies for this site. BTW the "Page cannot be
displayed" appears immediately for firstalert rather than the usual several
second delay for truly bad web sites. Any ideas? Thanks.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Check for a redirect entry in the HOSTS file.
To check the HOSTS file in Windows XP...
Make sure that Windows is showing hidden files and is
not hiding file extensions for known file types then check for a HOSTS file
at [C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc] Open the HOSTS file with notepad. If
there are entries you wish to disable, you can put the pound sign (#) in
front an entry to disable it. Then File> Save. Or you can rename the HOSTS
file to HOSTS.OLD to disable it.
In Win 9x, the file will be at [C:\Windows]
In Win 2K, the file will be at [C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\etc]

Additional info at:
The Hosts File (Gorilla Design Studio): http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

If running WinXP...
Try opening a Cmd window (or from Start> Run) enter
ipconfig /flushdns
then clear the Temporary Internet Files and restart.

If running a cable modem, dsl modem or router, have you, at some point, shut
*everything* down for a few minutes? This may help.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Thanks Don but none of this helped. The HOSTS file is empty. The ISP tech
had me flushdns and that did not help. Deleting IE TIF and History does no
good. I did a shut-down and disconnected the cable modem for several minutes
--- no help either.

hombreman said:
I use IE 6 although I doubt that is the cause of the problem. I can get to
all web sites EXCEPT one: www.firstalert.com . I friend on the same ISP gets
to it OK. I phoned my ISP and they could not figure out why. In Command
mode trying a Ping to that site times out. Doing a TRACERT shows all hops OK
until it tries firstalert. I have run 3 spyware removers and Norton A/V. No
blocks in the firewall and no cookies for this site. BTW the "Page cannot be
displayed" appears immediately for firstalert rather than the usual several
second delay for truly bad web sites. Any ideas? Thanks.

Thanks Jon but the Hosts file is empty, and clearing TIF and History does not
solve it either. Crazy!

I used CC Cleaner to delete all files associated with IE, did a Restart, but
still cannot get to firstalert.com . Do you think the webmaster at
firstalert might know about others who have had this problem? Thanks.

Don Varnau said:
Try deleting the Temporary Internet Files *folder* and the History *folder*
Explained at http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

hombreman said:
Thanks Jon but the Hosts file is empty, and clearing TIF and History does not
solve it either. Crazy!

Before using CCLeaner I tried deleting the TIF folder but got "cannot be
deleted because needed by system" even though on my home computer I am the
only User account and it is marked as Administrator.

Don Varnau said:
CCleaner is a good utility, but you should use the directions at
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm to delete those two FOLDERS.
One of them may be damaged (corrupted.) New folders will be created on
restart.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"hombreman" <hombreman[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Thanks Jon but the Hosts file is empty, and clearing TIF and History does
not solve it either. Crazy!

:

1. Clear your TIF and History completely:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

2. Check your Hosts file as per this article:
Problems Using Internet Explorer with Incorrect Hosts File
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q219843
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm

Robert Aldwinckle

hombreman said:
I use IE 6 although I doubt that is the cause of the problem. I can get to
all web sites EXCEPT one: www.firstalert.com . I friend on the same ISP gets
to it OK. I phoned my ISP and they could not figure out why. In Command
mode trying a Ping to that site times out. Doing a TRACERT shows all hops OK
until it tries firstalert. I have run 3 spyware removers and Norton A/V. No
blocks in the firewall and no cookies for this site. BTW the "Page cannot be
displayed" appears immediately for firstalert rather than the usual several
second delay for truly bad web sites. Any ideas? Thanks.

The only significant thing that you will be able to diagnose with ping
or tracert for that site is whether you are getting the correct IP address
for its lookup.

Better tool for that is nslookup

<example>
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: firstalert.com
Address: 206.17.0.13
Aliases: www.firstalert.com
</example>

Notice that the name that you want to use is an alias.
Perhaps you would have more luck trying to use its canonical name
instead? Sometimes it seems a DNS will time out doing a lookup
for an alias but do the lookup for the canonical name more successfully.
I speculate that some DNS don't keep such information and have to do
secondary lookups which could account for a timeout symptom.

Both names worked fine for me and fiddlertool shows that the same name
is used on all subsequent requests. BTW the latter is often not the case
and in the case of an immediate redirect to the alias you would still have no
clue whether the problem was the lookup for the alias.

That's why tracing the request or trying to simulate it (e.g. using telnet 80)
would be helpful. Unfortunately in this case the simple simulation which
I usually try didn't work. That then could be a clue that the site is more
particular about how the requests it gets should be constructed.

E.g. usually I just give an HTTP server GET /
(That's: GET<space><slash><Enter>.)
Instead I had to give this one: GET / HTTP/1.1
And then that only resulted in a 302 redirect
to this error page:

<example>
Location: /index.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/index.aspx
</example>

which implies that the site wants at least HTTP 1.1 protocol
and apparently something else (e.g. perhaps a recognizable

So, are you using HTTP 1.1? Check in Options, Advanced tab.
And is your User-Agent normal? Use the fiddlertool proxy tracer
or just go to this site to see your User-Agent:

http://www.fiddlertool.com/useragent.aspx

Note though that the most important thing is the lookup.
If you aren't getting a timely, correct lookup you might have
to add an entry for it in your HOSTS file. E.g., based on
my nslookup output above you would add this line to it
to override whatever your DNS is doing:

<example>
206.17.0.13 www.firstalert.com
</example>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Don Varnau

Hi,
XP Home?

To delete the Temporary Internet Files folder for the affected user
account. Make sure that you can see hidden files (Folder Options> View) Then
login as another user with administrator privileges, or from the machine's
default administrator account (startup in safe mode) and delete the affected
TIF folder from Windows Explorer. It will be at [C:\Documents and
Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files] The History
folder is in the same place.

You would not be able to delete this folder when logged in as
yourself- it's "In use." You should be able to delete it from the
Administrator account.

It's often recommended that the TIF folder size be set to about 50 MB.
That's set at Internet Options> General> Temporary Internet Files> Settings.

If using XP, try turning on the Windows firewall (Control Panel> Windows
Firewall) and disabling your third-party firewall.

See if anything here helps: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/16.html

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]
hombreman said:
Before using CCLeaner I tried deleting the TIF folder but got "cannot be
deleted because needed by system" even though on my home computer I am the
only User account and it is marked as Administrator.

[snip]

Guess what! Today I phoned my ISP about a different problem and a recorded
message said that "due to a server routing problem outside our control, users
are unable to access some web sites. The server owners are working on the
problem." I'm closing this problem, and my thanks to all.