can't get beyond welcome screen

Wanderr

toshiba satellite laptop - not new. xp boots to individual logon screen.
click on anyone and I get a "loading your personal settings", it seems to do
that as it takes some time to load, activity light is active.
Then it imediately goes to "saving your settings" and back to the individual
logon screen.
tried safe mode but get the same result.
can't get beyond this screen

Leonard Grey

Does "not new" mean that you are not the original owner?

Whenever you acquire a previously used computer, the very first thing to
do is to erase the hard disk and re-install all the software. You have
no idea what mistakes the previous owner made or what malware may be on
the computer.

David H. Lipman

Try the userinit fix from here http://www.ms-mvp.org/ this file works for
SP2 and SP3 only. READ the enclosed instructions. If you have SP1 do not use
this file. Your issue is caused by a malware infestation. Once fixed you
will need to use the Remove-it software, it will remove that malware from
your system. Choose yes for all options when prompted. Download it here
http://www.ms-mvp.org/

Wanderr

Thanks for getting back to me. I do have an xp disk. have changed the boot up
sequence from hdd to cd/dvd in the bios settings but can't get the computer
to boot up from the disk. It goes to the usual welcome screen so I can't run
the format utility

Olórin

David said:
Try the userinit fix from here http://www.ms-mvp.org/ this file works
for SP2 and SP3 only. READ the enclosed instructions. If you have SP1
do not use this file. Your issue is caused by a malware infestation.
Once fixed you will need to use the Remove-it software, it will
remove that malware from your system. Choose yes for all options when
prompted. Download it here http://www.ms-mvp.org/

Curious - you state in your sig:

"WARNING Do NOT follow any advice given by the people listed below.
your time.
David H Lipman <snip>

and then you go on to post under his name. Why is that?

David H. Lipman

What is wrong with you? that is not my sig you are confusing me with someone
else.

Olórin

David said:
What is wrong with you? that is not my sig you are confusing me with
someone else.

I believe PC Butts was posting as you; I pointed out the irony of that given
his/her sig when posting under his/her usual name.

Unless of course this is the androgynous PC Butts to whom I am replying...

Bob Lucas

Schizophrenia rules, OK?

Olórin said:
I believe PC Butts was posting as you; I pointed out the irony
of that given his/her sig when posting under his/her usual
name.

Unless of course this is the androgynous PC Butts to whom I am
replying...

Leythos

From: "David H. Lipman" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Subject: Re: can't get beyond welcome screen
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 16:53:33 -0700

What is wrong with you? that is not my sig you are confusing me with someone
else.

Still going on, some yahoo impersonating people in this group. The above
message was clearly not from David Lipman.