Windows XP Can't find csrss.exe

Reaction score
I just joined and I don’t know if there is a place to put questions but I’m putting one here. My computer has been slowly breaking and I’ve fixed a lot of stuff but I have many questions which I hope people can help me with.

1- I have MacAfee from AOL which is virus and firewall and i have Verizon security which has Firewall, virus and Spyware....should I get rid of one.......

2- When I start my computer an error message pops on that says can’t find file in C:\Windows\Media\csrss.exe

What should I do?

3- Lastly, I deleted internet explorer from my desktop and I can’t get it back. When I go to properties, and then desktop, the option to put internet explorer on the desktop is not there.

Thanks for reading and it would be very helpful if you could help me.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Firstly it would be nice to know what operating system you are using - I will guess for now its Windows XP.

1. Yes - you should only ever run one antivirus and firewall on your system.

2. csrss.exe is part of the Windows Runtime Subserver System - however it should be located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder - in other instances its a virus/trojan - what has probably happened is that the virus has been cleaned but it has left this remnant behind and Windows can no longer find it. You need to do a good antivirus scan in Safe Mode to make sure this virus is still not present on your system.

3. Right click on your Desktop>Select New>Shortcut. Browse to your Hard Drive and go to Program Files>Intenet Explorer and select IEXPLORE. Click OK>Next>Finish.

Ask a Question