Can't expand the task bar (but the usual answer doesn't work)

Anthony Buckland

I just installed WinXP Home Edition for someone, and applied all the
non-optional updates from the Microsoft site. But I can't expand the
task bar, at the bottom of the page, upwards. Yes, I've unlocked it.
If I move it to, say, the right side, I can expand it all I want
horizontally. But this expansion isn't preserved if I move the bar
back to the bottom except for a very minor amount. And if I don't
move the bar to the right side first I can't expand it vertically at all.
This was an upgrade from Win98SE, so various things were
preserved through the install. Could some ghost from the past
be haunting the XP taskbar?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Anthony Buckland

Sure. It just doesn't actually move the line at the bottom, although
it will at the side. It's as though there's a limit (other than the 15-line
maximum) getting in the way. Is that maximum buried in the registry
somewhere?

Anthony Buckland

Just fixed the problem. I moved the taskbar to the _top_ of the screen, and
was able to drag the border down. When I moved the taskbar back to the
bottom of the screen, it kept its expanded size. Not only that, but I could
then drag the border up and down, at the bottom, in the normal manner.
I may never understand, but hopefully I will now never have to!

Unknown

Great!