Can't Delete Contacts in Windows Contact List ... WHY?

Darryl Fulton

I need someone to help...!
I can't seem to delete some of the contact names that have entered into my
*windows contacts*. When I try to delete these names, my Windows
Explorer says.... *Windows Explorer has stopped working * then, it
re-boots, and the names are still there. Even when I try to right-click
the name or delete the names, *Windows Explorer* re-boots.

Is there a way to delete the name I want deleted from my Windows
Contact List, and keep Windows Explorer from rebooting?

NormanM

I need someone to help...!
I can't seem to delete some of the contact names that have entered into my
*windows contacts*. When I try to delete these names, my Windows
Explorer says.... *Windows Explorer has stopped working * then, it
re-boots, and the names are still there. Even when I try to right-click
the name or delete the names, *Windows Explorer* re-boots.

Is there a way to delete the name I want deleted from my Windows
Contact List, and keep Windows Explorer from rebooting?

Some of us are still using older Windows OSes. I see by your NNTP posting
headers that you are posting with Windows Mail, which only runs on Windows
Vista. It usually helps to state the OS and version up front when making
your problem statement. I can't assist Windows Vista users, not having
Windows Vista to play with.

OIC. You did cross-post to a couple of Vista groups. Alas, the
microsoft.public.internet.mail group still harbors a population of non-Vista
users.

R. C. White

Hi, Darryl.

HOW are you trying to delete your Contacts? Are you doing it from Windows
Explorer? Why not use the Contacts button in Windows Mail?

But deleting them from Windows Explorer does work for me. I browse to
C:\Users\RC\Contacts, then I select one from the list and use the normal
deletion technique, either the Delete key or right-click then Delete.
Unless I use the Shift key while deleting, Vista puts the deleted Contact
into my Recycle Bin - as usual.

Sometimes, if Vista is very busy (especially on a slow computer with limited
RAM), you might see a "Not Responding" message for several seconds - or even
a few minutes - while Vista completes its previous task. Clicking the mouse
at this time might trigger an abnormal exit from Windows Explorer. The only
cure for this is patience. ;^}

Step by step, how are you trying to delete Contacts? Are you an
Administrator? And logged on as such?

(PS: I've corrected your cross-post to
microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management, inserting the missing "c" in
microsoft.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

KristleBawl

Vista is different from previous versions of Windows, and Widows Mail is
different from OE, even thought there are some similarities. I'm just
offering my opinon, of course, but maybe replacing the address book with a
contacts folder is supposed to outsmart the usual self-replicating email
worm. Perhaps MS thinks the new design is another thin layer of security.

Contacts add/delete fairly easily from the Contacts folder, just like in
other file folders, as long as it's set up correctly, which we just learned.
It takes getting used to doing it differently, though. Just like when Win95
was new, and when XP first arrived, we're going to find a bunch of lttle
things that fewer people have experiened, so far. Over time, we'll learn how
to correct them.

The hardest part for the *experts* (I'm not one) is to reproduce the problem
if no one knows the cause. Thanks to Mac, we now know how fix this
particular issue.

I try to help with the ones I know a little bit about, just in case I can
help rule out some simple but overlooked things, so the *experts* can get a
little more info and figure out the more technical solutions. Sooner or
later, one of them usually does, just like in this case.

What sometimes sounds like a weak or unhelpful suggestion or question, is
quite often an attempt to find out exact what steps were included in "I
tried everyhing and nothing worked", because they really mean "I tried
everyhing I could think of and ran outof ideas."

KB ;)

Gary VanderMolen

After you click on Contacts, don't you have a Delete icon on
the toolbar? If not, what do you see on the toolbar?

It is, of course, not normal to have Windows Explorer crash
on you when right-clicking a contact. Of several dozen Vista
machines I'm personally familiar with, none do that.
Is there anything unusual about your PC, did you do a clean
install or was it a upgrade of XP to Vista?

Gary VanderMolen

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Gary VanderMolen said:
After you click on Contacts, don't you have a Delete icon on
the toolbar? If not, what do you see on the toolbar?

Apparently not until you select a contact.

KristleBawl

Yes, please post back more info if you can determine which it was.

McAfee was my favorite until they *improved* it too much several years ago,
and I don't even remember what I used to replaced it. Now, my current ISP
included free AV but it isn't availible for Vista, yet, and I'm using
anoher.

If you want to test a free AV to prove/disprove McAfee is the cause, many
people have reported success with the free versions of Avast4 and AVG using
Vista.

KB

"jkdood" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Gary VanderMolen

All I can say is that you are playing with fire.
I will not let anything McAfee (or Norton) come within 10
feet of any of my computers.

Gary VanderMolen

Kolya

Dear Daryl...

Ok here is how you do it.
Open Contacts folder.
Grab that unwanted contacts ears with your mouse and drag/drop into
recycle bin.
That is it.
You should be ok.
Did that, and done with it....and feeling good.

Sincerely
Kolya
Falkon Digital Designs Inc.

jgp1313

Kolya
worked like a charm
thanks much

jgp1313

Kolya said:
Dear Daryl...

Ok here is how you do it.
Open Contacts folder.
Grab that unwanted contacts ears with your mouse and drag/drop into
recycle bin.
That is it.
You should be ok.
Did that, and done with it....and feeling good.

Sincerely
Kolya
Falkon Digital Designs Inc.

Gene

jkdood. im having the same problem with deleting contact in vists windows
mail. Any help please, its driving me crazy. Thanks

mikeyhsd

they are probably still in your lat used list of 29 addresses.
they will roll off eventually.
otherwise you have to edit the registry to remove them.

(e-mail address removed)

jkdood. im having the same problem with deleting contact in vists windows
mail. Any help please, its driving me crazy. Thanks

Barb

Darrly, So sorry I can not help you but maybe you can help me, He! I just put
in profile and now I wanted to ask a question, but so confussed as to where I
type these questions. See new kid, good luck with your problem.

Questions on what? If they're questions on Window Mail under Vista,
your crosspost already includes the right newsgroup. If not, let us know
what you're having problems with and we'll try to help you find the
correct newsgroup.

buff1