Can't creat a dial-up connection, Help!

G

Hi all
i have a problem creating a dial-up, i never used dial-up in this computer, i've been connecting to the internet through a LA

The problem is that when i go to Network Connections all i see is "LAN or High-Speed Internet", and no "Dial-Up"

So i tried creating a dial-up connection, so i clicked "Creat a new connection" and the New Connection Wizard showed up,then i clicked "Next" and selected "Connect to the internet", then i selected "Set up my connection manually".
and this brings me to the main problem which is when i selected "Set up my connection manually" the only option showed next is: "Connect using a broadband connection that is always on".

I asked someone about this and he told me to go to
Star
Run and type
inetwi

and i did what he said and the Internet Connection Wizard showed up, but i can't get it done because when i go to the last step it says "Type the name you want to use for this connection. This can be the name of your ISP or any name you want to use.

so i typed the name of my ISP and i got this message: " "SOL" is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose a different name
i changed the name many times but i still get the same message everytime i type a name for the connection

please help.. i really need to connect to the internet from my computer.

X

XPUSER

desertrose said:
Hi all,
i have a problem creating a dial-up, i never used dial-up in this computer, i've been connecting to the internet through a LAN

The problem is that when i go to Network Connections all i see is "LAN or High-Speed Internet", and no "Dial-Up".

So i tried creating a dial-up connection, so i clicked "Creat a new connection" and the New Connection Wizard showed up,then i clicked "Next" and selected "Connect to the internet", then i selected "Set up my connection manually".
and this brings me to the main problem which is when i selected "Set up my connection manually" the only option showed next is: "Connect using a broadband connection that is always on".

I asked someone about this and he told me to go to:
Start
Run and type:
inetwiz

and i did what he said and the Internet Connection Wizard showed up, but i can't get it done because when i go to the last step it says "Type the name you want to use for this connection. This can be the name of your ISP or any name you want to use."

so i typed the name of my ISP and i got this message: " "SOL" is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose a different name"
i changed the name many times but i still get the same message everytime i type a name for the connection.

please help.. i really need to connect to the internet from my computer.
========================================================
I could not tell from you post if the LAN connection is still available or not.
If you do have the LAN connection available and you can get on the Internet
with it, then go to the Windows Update site
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
and "Scan for updates" and see if XP Service Pack 1A is offered.
If so, temporarily turn off your Anti Virus program and download and install
SP1A (you DO want to archive) and then reboot and go back to the
Windows Update site and install any remaining Critical Updates.
Then see if you have the Dial-Up option available in the
New Connection Wizard and if so create your Dial-Up connection.

If that LAN connection is not available, then use the following article
and then run the New Connection Wizard and create your Dial-Up
connection and then go to the Windows Update site and "Scan for updates"
and follow the same advice as above as per installing SP1A and then the
rest of the critical updates.

You Cannot Create a Network Connection After You Restore Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329441
========================================================

G

I did the registry hack exactly as according to Microsoft online article 329441 and it now works perfectly, give it a try, but what ever you do don't do anything with the registry that isn't recommended by a reliable source (i.e. Microsoft), my experience indicates that you would regret "experimenting" with your own modifications. Later.

Ask a Question