Windows Vista Can't change Windows Aero desktop/theme

SJW

Reaction score
Most of the Windows Aeros functions are OK - glass, flip etc. but I can't change my desktop to anything other than a solid colour (no wall paper/ pictures etc.)

Also, if I change the Theme to Vista, the desktop defaults to black.

I can change the deskop from within Picasa, but the next time I re-boot it will have reverted to black. I thought the problem may lie with Picasa, because when I fire it up, I get message saying the colours have been changed to Vista basic.

Very frustrating. Although only cosmetic, I wonder whether this lack of function will have implications elsewhere.

Any ideas?

My PC spec is
ACPI+86
NVIDIA Geoforce 7300SE/7200 GS
Intel(R)Core TM2 CPU 6420
IGB RAM
Base score 3

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hello SJW, welcome to the Forums :)

Here is one thing you could try:

Right click anywhere on the desktop. Select "Personalize" then "Choose a Desktop Background" if you click on the drop-down menu beside "Picture Location" you should see an option - which also includes "Solid Colours" - so make sure this option hasn't been selected (causing it to default in the manner you describe.)

Hope this will help :)

SJW

Reaction score
Hi, thanks. Tried all that and it doesn't work. If I click on any of the options other than solid colour, (wallpaper, pictures) nothing happens. If I right click on any picture on file - set as desktop - nothing happens. As I said in my original post - I can change the desktop to a picture from within Picasa, but next time I re-boot it will default to black again!!!!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Sorry that didn't work - actually I did have a similar problem to this when I first got Vista too. Another thing which I have since remembered doing, is changing the location of the picture/wallpaper that I wanted to use, from Picassa or any other picture location, to: C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Sample Pictures and that seemed to solve the problem of the disappearing wallpaper for me. Might be worth a try if you've not done that already. :)

Ask a Question