can't change file names

G

I reinstalled XP home and since then i can't change the name of the file without adding the file extention to it. An example would be right clicking on a photo on the net, goto "save as" if i leave the name as it is, it saves it fine (even though there is no file extention shown) if i try to change the name it saves it but when i check the type of file it reads "file type: file" and i can't open it unless i rename it with the .jpg extention or whatever the original was named. also i'm not changing the "save as type" when saving. thanks

W

Wesley Vogel

Ron;
Control Panel | Folder Options | View tab |
UNCheck: Hide extension for known file types |
Apply | OK

G

No that didn't help, I already tried that so I unchecked it and tried to save a pic same thing so I checked tthe box again and applied it tried to save anoter pic but I still get the same result. I'm using XP home incase that matters.

W

Wesley Vogel

G

I've been digging around the forums for a couple days tring to find an answer and I've tried all those and a few more. So I tried to do a repair of windows (not using the recovery console) and I kept getting this error message " unregmp2.exe entry point not found" and it wouldn't continue, so I had no choice but to do a clean install and start from scratch. As I installed all the windows updates 1 at a time I kept checking to see if any of them caused the problem. But it's working fine so I'm going to start installing all my programs 1 at a time and keep checking to see if I can find my problem child. Thanks for your help and if i ever find what caused it i'll post it here.

G

Well I figured it out, I guess I did. Today I installed MS Plus digital media edition, Office 97 full version, upgraded to office 2000 (upgrade edition) and everything was fine after each install. Then I installed Image Resizer (powertoy) and my problem returned. So I uninstalled Image Resizer and still had the problem, so I went to system restore and restored to before the install of Image Resizer, still had my problem, went back to system restore and restored before office 2000, same results, restored to before office 97, same result, restored to before MS digital media and that fixed the problem. Now here's the good part, I reinstalled Image Resizer and no problem, installed MS digital media, still ok, tried to install office 2000 without installing 97 first and for some reason it installed (it's a upgrade edition) and everything is fine, go figure. I doubt if this will be of any help to any one else but I figured I'd post it anyway. Thank Again.

Ask a Question