can't burn DVD, but can burn CD


W

windsurferLA

Installed in my 1.7GHz Pentium machine is a Memorex DVD burner, 16x,
double layer as well as a conventional CD burner. The operating system
is WinXP-pro w/SR-2. The Memorex DVD came with Nero6 "Memorex Suite".
My video capture card came with "DVD MovieFactory 4SE"

Prior to inserting blank media into the DVD burner, Windows Explorer
shows a DVD-RW icon label and lets me copy Quick Time and other files
into the DVD's directory in preparation for burning the files to blank
DVD media.

As soon as a I put a blank DVD disc into the Memorex DVD burner, the
icon changes to a conventional CD icon. The blank discs work just fine
in another DVD burner on another machine. The Memorex DVD burner will
burn conventional 760 MByte CD's, and it will playback many video discs,
although not all.

The regular CD-RW and the DVD-RW share the same IDE cable, but the
machine does not seem to confuse them.

There was one time when I was able to get the DVD burner to recognize
that it contained blank DVD media, but I've not been able to replicate
the event.

I do note that unlike the 700 MByte CD'sm one needs to "format" the bank
DVD before you can write to it. On my 1.7 GHz machine, if I put a blank
DVD into the Memorex DVD Burner and select the "format" option, it does
not recognize the blank media as a blank DVD. If you put empty DVD
media formated by Roxio software on another machine, the icon still
switches from DVD to CD, and when you click on properties, it does not
show that there is about 4 GByte of space available. When there is no
disc in the drive, the operating system recognizes that the drive is a
DVD RW but it also says, "MRW - write: no." I don't know if I need
"Mount Rainier" write. The 1.7 GHz machine also gives the option for
"InCD" formating, but the capability is no different that previously
indicated.

Can someone please recommend a book or web site that will explain what
is needed to get the Memorex DVD writer to write data files to blank DVD
media.
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

John Inzer

windsurferLA said:
Installed in my 1.7GHz Pentium machine is a Memorex DVD burner, 16x,
double layer as well as a conventional CD burner. The operating
system is WinXP-pro w/SR-2. The Memorex DVD came with Nero6 "Memorex
Suite". My video capture card came with "DVD MovieFactory 4SE"

Prior to inserting blank media into the DVD burner, Windows Explorer
shows a DVD-RW icon label and lets me copy Quick Time and other files
into the DVD's directory in preparation for burning the files to blank
DVD media.

As soon as a I put a blank DVD disc into the Memorex DVD burner, the
icon changes to a conventional CD icon. The blank discs work just
fine in another DVD burner on another machine. The Memorex DVD
burner will burn conventional 760 MByte CD's, and it will playback
many video discs, although not all.

The regular CD-RW and the DVD-RW share the same IDE cable, but the
machine does not seem to confuse them.

There was one time when I was able to get the DVD burner to recognize
that it contained blank DVD media, but I've not been able to replicate
the event.

I do note that unlike the 700 MByte CD'sm one needs to "format" the
bank DVD before you can write to it. On my 1.7 GHz machine, if I put
a blank DVD into the Memorex DVD Burner and select the "format"
option, it does not recognize the blank media as a blank DVD. If you
put empty DVD media formated by Roxio software on another machine,
the icon still switches from DVD to CD, and when you click on
properties, it does not show that there is about 4 GByte of space
available. When there is no disc in the drive, the operating system
recognizes that the drive is a DVD RW but it also says, "MRW - write:
no." I don't know if I need "Mount Rainier" write. The 1.7 GHz
machine also gives the option for "InCD" formating, but the
capability is no different that previously indicated.

Can someone please recommend a book or web site that will explain what
is needed to get the Memorex DVD writer to write data files to blank
DVD media.
============================
I had a similar issue with a Samsung
DVD-RW drive and replacing it was
the fix.

--

******John Inzer********
**MS Picture It! MVP**

*****Digital Image******
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

*********Notice***********
This is not tech support
........I am a volunteer.......

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you.

Proceed at your own risk.
 
W

windsurferLA

John said:
============================
I had a similar issue with a Samsung
DVD-RW drive and replacing it was
the fix.
I'm almost ready to do the same. The cost of the drive is small compare
to the value my time that I've spent trying to get it to work. However,
I'd like to find a source of information that would help me better
understand the various data formats for the DVD's. For example, why to
the DVD discs have to be first formated while you can write data to a
800MByte CD without first doing a format?
 
J

John Inzer

windsurferLA said:
For example, why to the DVD discs have to be first formated while you
can write data to a 800MByte CD without first doing a format?
===========================
I don't know...I've never had to format
a DVD...they burn fine on my system
right out of the package.

--

******John Inzer********
**MS Picture It! MVP**

*****Digital Image******
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

*********Notice***********
This is not tech support
........I am a volunteer.......

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you.

Proceed at your own risk.
 
W

windsurferLA

John said:
===========================
I don't know...I've never had to format
a DVD...they burn fine on my system
right out of the package.
What software are you using? Are you writing a CD to be played on a
standard DVD player or computer video such as QuickTime .mov files or
doesn't it make any difference?
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

John Inzer

windsurferLA said:
What software are you using? Are you writing a CD to be played on a
standard DVD player or computer video such as QuickTime .mov files or
doesn't it make any difference?
==========================
I use Roxio, InterVideo WinDVD,
ProShow Gold...making Data Disks,
VCDs, DVDs, etc...

To answer your question...it doesn't
make a difference...I've never had
to format a CD or DVD

The only reason I know of to format
a CD-R or any other optical media
would be for Packet Writing...that's if
you wish to drag/drop like you would
with a floppy. Since I don't do that...
I have no need to format the disks.

Info on Packet Writing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_writing

--

******John Inzer********
**MS Picture It! MVP**

*****Digital Image******
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

*********Notice***********
This is not tech support
........I am a volunteer.......

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you.

Proceed at your own risk.
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top