Can't Access Windows Instrumentation Software

KIR

Running XP Home SP2.

When I go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools,System Information,
the System Info window opens but it says "Can't access Windows
Instrumentation software. Windows Management files may be moved or missing."
This is a new event. I don't know why this is happening now. Can someone
help correct this? Thanks.

Ken

Claymore

Running XP Home SP2.

When I go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools,System Information,
the System Info window opens but it says "Can't access Windows
Instrumentation software. Windows Management files may be moved or missing.."
This is a new event. I don't know why this is happening now. Can someone
help correct this? Thanks.

Ken

See this MS Article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323209

To access Services, go to Start => Run and type in
"services.msc" {without the quotes}

KIR

I ran services.msc and found that Windows Management Instrumentation did not
start. This is what is causing the problem. How do I get this to start?

[...]

Did you try this:

Double-click on the service (WMI).
Set the 'Startup type' to 'Automatic' in the drop-down box.
Click the 'Start' button.

KIR

Ran services.msc. WMI is, and has been setup as you suggested. I therefore
changed nothing today. However, when I go to task manager WMI is not there
and still cannot be started.

I ran services.msc and found that Windows Management Instrumentation did
not
start. This is what is causing the problem. How do I get this to start?

See this MS Article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323209

To access Services, go to Start => Run and type in
"services.msc" {without the quotes}

Did you try this:

Double-click on the service (WMI).
Set the 'Startup type' to 'Automatic' in the drop-down box.
Click the 'Start' button.

Claymore

Ran services.msc. WMI is, and has been setup as you suggested. I therefore
changed nothing today. However, when I go to task manager WMI is not there
and still cannot be started.

Did you try this:

Double-click on the service (WMI).
Set the 'Startup type' to 'Automatic' in the drop-down box.
Click the 'Start' button.- Hide quoted text -

Hello again,

To check if it's running (doesn't show in Task Manager) do this:

Go to Start => Run and type in "cmd" {without the quotes} and Enter.
In the window that opens type in "net start" {without the quotes} and
Enter.
Windows Management Instrumentation should be listed alphabetically.

Also note that in Services the following two services must be Started
for WMI to Start:

Event Log
Remote Procedure Call

KIR

In Services all 3 are there and it shows started & automatic. In net start
all three are listed. However, the problem persists.

[...]

Remote Procedure Call- Hide quoted text -

Hello again,

There should be an entry in the Event Viewer.
Go to Start => Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" {without the quotes}
Look in the System folder for any errors about the time you encounter
the problem, and double-click to open them. There should be a link to
Microsoft's online help that may give a solution.
Otherwise, you'll see a small notebook-type icon. Click this, which
will copy the error message to the clipboard. Open Notepad and paste
it in. Copy what you get and post it here.

Alternatively there is this possible fix:
http://blog.perfectspace.com/2004/07/21/windows-management-instrumentation-wmi-error/

Note the path to the folder they're talking about:

C:\Windows\System32\Wbem\Repository

KIR

Sorry to take so long to reply. I did not find any errors in event viewer
that correlates to the type and time of the problem. I then removed all
files in c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository as instructed in the second fix
you mentioned. However, the problem persists. Is it possible there is a
registry error causing this? Thanks.

[...]

C:\Windows\System32\Wbem\Repository- Hide quoted text -

Hello again,

Go to the command prompt (Start => Run => cmd) and type in:
net stop winmgmt

Close the window, go to Start => Run and copy/paste this line:

rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository
Click OK

In Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\System32\WBEM\Logs
Open the file "setup.log".
Scroll to the end and see if you have something similar to this:

(Mon Apr 07 20:16:51 2008):
====================
(Mon Apr 07 20:16:51 2008): Beginning WBEM Service Pack Installation
(Mon Apr 07 20:16:51 2008): Current build of wbemupgd.dll is
5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
(Mon Apr 07 20:16:51 2008): Current build of wbemcore.dll is
5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
(Mon Apr 07 20:16:53 2008): Wbemupgd.dll Service Security upgrade
succeeded (XP SP update).
(Mon Apr 07 20:16:53 2008): WBEM Service Pack Installation completed.
(Mon Apr 07 20:16:53 2008):
====================

If so, again go to the command line (Start => Run => cmd) and type in:

net start winmgmt

KIR

The following is an exact copy of the setup log after following your
instructions:

(Wed Apr 09 01:57:17 2008): Beginning WBEM Service Pack Installation
(Wed Apr 09 01:57:17 2008): Current build of wbemupgd.dll is 5.1.2600.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
(Wed Apr 09 01:57:17 2008): Current build of wbemcore.dll is 5.1.2600.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
(Wed Apr 09 01:57:17 2008): Failing Connecting to Namespace [root\default]
with result [80040154]
(Wed Apr 09 01:57:17 2008): One or more core modules is not registered;
registering.
(Wed Apr 09 01:58:00 2008): Wbemupgd.dll Service Security upgrade succeeded
(XP SP update).
(Wed Apr 09 01:58:00 2008): WBEM Service Pack Installation completed.
(Wed Apr 09 01:58:00 2008):

As you can see there is a problem eith the registry (I think).

"Claymore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[...]

net start winmgmt- Hide quoted text -

Hello again,

Unless you can System Restore back to a time before the trouble
started, at this point I would run the System File Checker (Start =>
Run => sfc /scannow).
If that didn't help I would resort to a repair re-install.

KIR

I did a system restore and it corrected itself. I had hoped to fix this
problem without having to do a restore but it seems that is the only
solution. Thank you very much for staying with me through this. I really
appreciate your help.

[...]

If that didn't help I would resort to a repair re-install.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the words. Like you, I sometimes have to admit that the
only solution is the mallet. I've been working on one computer now for
two evenings. I'm going to give up and apply the proper application of
explosives in the form of a re-install.

Regards