Canon S45

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a digital camera and have about $800 canadian to spend on it. I'm looking at the Canon S45 right now. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm a huge photography fan but never really got into digital nor had the money to invest in it. I currently own a Nikon F90 35mm SLR which I use on a regular basis and I love it. The digital camera isn't meant to replace that camera, as it's a beautiful machine. Thanks.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Being a Nikon user already I am surprised why you are not going for a Nikon Digital Camera? Have you considered any Nikon model? Besides Canon S45 which other cameras were you considering? I would love to hear you out.

As for the Canon model you mentioned I am not sure why you picked this particular one. I suggest you weigh the pros and cons, being a photographer it should not be a problem for you to decide.

1) Are you into macro? If so, this is a poor choice, if not, its ok.

2) Vignetting at wide angle and maximum aperture could be a problem if you are into landscapes and such, if not, you are ok?

3) Good natural light white balance, strong and balanced colours make this a great camera for outdoors, if you mainly intend to shoot outdoors this is a good choice.

4) Good manual control so it may prove very useful if you want to be in command than just be a snap shooter (which you are not)

Let my know your opinion to what I have suggested and we can take it from there.

Reaction score
3 and 4 definetly apply to me. I love taking outdoor shots (mostly scenic things while I hike in the mountains, etc.) and that's what the main use will be. I'll probably do a bit of macro, but not all that much, so I don't consider it a hugely important feature. Also, I want to have lots of control over my shots.

I am a Nikon user and agree they they make some of the best 35mm cameras out there, however in my opinion and from what I hear, they're not the best when it comes to digital. I've only heard good comments from people I know who use Canons so naturally it seems like a good decision.

I briefly looked at Nikons but they don't appeal to me as much for some reason. Could you maybe suggest something else in this price range ($800 canadian)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Eric,

Would you consider getting an Olympus Camedia C5050? It's a damn fine piece of equipment! Check it out, I think it may be just a bit over your range but if you can afford a little extra, this is a good buy.

Let me know what you think about my suggestion.

Reaction score
I would, if only it weren't way out of my price range. Right now, the S45 looks like a great bet. I only hear great things about it.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
You have focused your eyes very sharply on the S45 indeed! If you are convinced this is THE camera, I am in no position to convince you otherwise.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
It's funny, because whenever I'm shopping around for something new, I always focus my eyes on a certain thing and don't want to hear about anything else. :) I'll consider it, but I always stick with my gut feeling. However, sometimes another (superior) product will come along and I'll have a real dilemma on my hands. This time I seem pretty intent on the S45. It's also dead on my price limit. :D

Like I said, I only hear good things about it. I have a friend who has a G2 and he loves it (The S45 is more or less a smaller G2).

Thanks for the help.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
New firmware upgrage for S45

The new firmware update is available for the S45. The new update fixes following:

1) Corrects the incompatibility with certain computers that caused occasional errors in transmitting data from the computer to the camera.

2) Corrects the occasional AF errors when using Active Frame Control / FlexiZone AF.

Firmware upgrade for S45

Ask a Question