Canon PIXMA MP800 black streaks!

Reaction score
I run a Canon PIXMA MP800 (with PrintFab, through iMac). Great machine, but after average/low use for a couple of years, it has developed a thin black smudge down the centre of prints. Obvious on black text pages, no so much on photos, but it's still there.

The cleaning section of the on-screen manual doesn't really help. It seems, and I stress seems, to be coming from the bit of foam rubber that sits in front of the ink tanks. Is this cleanable, is this replaceable, is it worth getting it done by a professional, etc, or is 2 years about the machine's life?

Thanks.

Allen.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you should be able to take the cartridge carrier out, then give it a good clean with something like isopropyl alcohol

Reaction score
Thanks for that, Me.

Do you know if I'll be able to find an on-line manual that tells me how to do that removal/replacement? Not sure what a cartridge carrier is!

A.

Reaction score
Thanks for digging that out, Me. I suppose I MUST have done that 2 years ago, but I'm buggered if I can remember doing it!

I shall print out that set of instructions and have a go once I feel confident.

Thanks v.much for the help.

Allen.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The foam pad on these Canons is where all the excess ink from head cleaning etc goes. After a period of time...........especially if you turn your printer on and off alot rather than leaving it on (every time you turn on and off causes the print head to do a clean with the excess soaking into the foam).........it gets completely soaked.

The problem is that to replace the foam you need to take to printer apart and generally the cost of doing that is not far of the cost of a new machine - hence its not a servicable item.

Reaction score
Thanks, Adywebb. Yes, the printer has been on and off as often as the Mac, so once or twice a day for 2 years would be a good guess.

No-one told me not to!

Anyway, isn't there a workround of any sort? It seems a bit drastic to condemn the machine, which really hasn't had that much work, just for the sake of a two quid bit of foam.

Allen.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the printer but couldn't the foam pad be reached with cotton buds to soak up the excess ink?

And I noticed the machine retails for around £270.00 so may well be worth a repair.

But I'm not entirely sure, just kinda thinking out loud.

Reaction score
Yes, you can see and touch the pad. I haven't tried the cotton-bud idea, but sounds worth a try.

The foam pad runs left to right across the machine, and if you wipe it a bit too hard it can buckle up and start to come out of its housing. Not a great system, particularly as (see previous answers) it ain't easily replaceable.

But yes, the machine is pricey, otherwise I'd give it up and buy a new one!

Allen

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Had a talk with a Canon engineer today that I know....he says that from what you describe it is unlikely to be a full ink absorber foam, but you can remove it carefully from its housing (without having to remove anything else) and give it a wash with soap and warm water, let it dry and then carefully slide it back correct side upwards.

If the problem remains then it is a documented problem where the ink leaks before the absorber becomes full, a problem which has resulted in the issue of a Canon Service Bulletin along with a modification.

To have an engineer do this costs around £100+ apparently, but I have managed to obtain a copy of this confidential bulletin ;) as you may be able to negotiate with Canon customer service as it would appear to me to be an inherrent defect and hence the 1 year Canon warranty is irrelevant and the repair should be done under your rights under the Sales of Goods Act.

Allen-uk...........I will remove the attachment once you have got it :thumb:

Edit: Attachment removed.

Reaction score
Adywebb: above and beyond, that was. I have the PDF on my desktop, saved and secured, thanks.

A.

Ask a Question