Canon Pixma ip4000 CD printing

John B

I am considering buying a Canon Pixma ip4000 printer, particularly for the
CD / DVD printing facility. So far I have been printing separate labels
using the Nero Cover Designer software. Is it possible to use this software
to print directly onto the disc with this printer using the dedicated
cradle, or has the supplied Canon Easy-PhotoPrint software to be used?

Also, is there any way of using the Canon software to print all the way to
the hub, using suitable full face printable discs? The Canon software I have
seen demonstrated leaves a large diameter non-printed area in the middle.

Thank you,

John B.

S.V. Groeneveld

I am considering buying a Canon Pixma ip4000 printer, particularly for
the
CD / DVD printing facility. So far I have been printing separate labels
using the Nero Cover Designer software. Is it possible to use this
software
to print directly onto the disc with this printer using the dedicated
cradle, or has the supplied Canon Easy-PhotoPrint software to be used?

Also, is there any way of using the Canon software to print all the way
to the hub, using suitable full face printable discs? The Canon software
I have seen demonstrated leaves a large diameter non-printed area in the
middle.

The IP4000 is an excellent printer, and it prints on CD's flawlessly using
Nero Cover Designer... (I didn't like Canon's own CD printing software
either). Just make sure you use the right (Canon) ink, and special
*printable* discs.

I'll repeat what I posted a month ago. As you see the hole diameter is
configurable in step 6 of creating the template, so that answers all of
your questions... ;)

Create the new template:

1) In Nero Cover Designer goto File -> Paper Stocks
2) In the list select 'User-defined Stocks' and press the 'Add Stock'
button
3) Give the new stock a nice name, eg. "CD-Tray PIXMA 4000"
4) Set width = 131.0mm, height = 238.7mm (got these from Printer
Preferences dialog)
5) Press the 'Add Item' button and select 'Label'
6) Set outer radius = 59.0mm, inner radius = 22.0mm (or 11.0mm for a small
hole in the middle)
7) Set position X = 6.5mm, Y = 87.0mm

Print onto disc:

1) In Nero Cover Designer goto File -> New and select any disc template
(this is not the one created above)
2) Select the tab "Disk 1"
3) Choose your freshly created paper format from the drop-down box on top
4) Now paint your cover...
5) Goto File -> Print
6) On tab 'Elements' unselect the things you don't want
7) On tab 'General' press the 'Setup' button, and choose PIXMA 4000
'Properties'
8) On tab 'Main', set Media type to "Printable disc (recommended)" (this
will also select "Disc tray" as paper source)
9) On tab 'Page Setup', set Page size to "CD-R tray B"
10) OK, OK, OK

John B

Many thanks. I could not wish for a better, and prompt, answer! All I have
to do now is order my new IP4000 and get printing.

Thanks again.

John B.

Emrys Davies

Everyone, it seems, is praising the Canon Pixma ip4000, without giving
the Canon Pixma ip5000 a mention. This surprises me.

I do not possess either, but I am interested. Is it just the price?

Would someone kindly explain please.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

S.V. Groeneveld

Everyone, it seems, is praising the Canon Pixma ip4000, without giving
the Canon Pixma ip5000 a mention. This surprises me.

I do not possess either, but I am interested. Is it just the price?

Would someone kindly explain please.

Can you tell us which extra's the IP5000 has to offer?
Hmm, maybe I don't want to know this, since I already have the IP4000, and
am very satisfied with it ;)

John B

The main difference with the ip5000 is the droplet size and resolution. The
ip4000 has 4800 x 1200 with 2 picolitre droplet size, but the ip5000 has
9600 x 2400 resolution with 1 picolitre droplet size! What visible
difference this makes I don't know, but did read somewhere that one reviewer
thought the ip 4000 better. Best have a look for reviews about both. The
ip5000 is somewhat more expensive. There is also a ip4000R that includes
built in WiFi connectivity.

Hope this helps.

John B.

measekite

I have an IP4000.  I think it is great.  In some respects I wish I had an IP5000.  I have seen one result from it and it was fantastic but I have never seen any direct comparisons.  In other words the same photo using the same paper.  Canon does not seem to want to provide that.

The printer is $40.00 more; not enough to not to buy it if the end result is more than marginal.  However, while 2 picoliter print heads have been out for a long time (the entire i series), the 1 picoliter print head is new.  While I have not heard any negative reports I would be concerned about print head clogging; especially if you do not print photos frequently.

I ask myself why in their narrow carriage flagship model, the ip8500, did Canon not use the 1 picoliter engine instead opting for the proven 2 picoliter setup.  Maybe they are field testing using their customers and the testers.  I do not know.

I would like to see the replacement for the i9900 be a Pixma ip10000 with all of the features of the ip8500 plus a 1 picoliter (proven in the field) droplet size with two additional cartridges, one for high gloss and the another for a transparent protectorant.

Everyone, it seems, is praising the Canon Pixma ip4000, without giving the Canon Pixma ip5000 a mention. This surprises me. I do not possess either, but I am interested. Is it just the price? Would someone kindly explain please. Regards, Emrys Davies. "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

to do now is order my new IP4000 and get printing. Thanks again. John B. -- Remove <nospam> from email address to reply "S.V. Groeneveld" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:blush:[email protected]...

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 23:40:06 -0000, John B <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]

It is identical to your ip4000 except for a 1 picoliter droplet size.
Of course there are more nozzles.

S.V. Groeneveld

It is identical to your ip4000 except for a 1 picoliter droplet size.
Of course there are more nozzles.

Pff, if that's all, there's no reason to consider the IP5000 in my opinion
;)

I remember I had to choose between IP3000 en IP4000 when I bought mine.
And because I needed a parallel interface this choice was simple, since
the IP3000 only has a USB interface.

Daniel Prince

S.V. Groeneveld said:
The IP4000 is an excellent printer, and it prints on CD's flawlessly using
Nero Cover Designer.

Is the Canon IP4000 that prints on CDs available in the USA or only
in Europe? If it is not available in the USA, is there an easy way
to modify the USA version to print on CDs? Thank you in advance for