Canon i860 printer 3e ink empty in few hours

measekite

Good for you. Not all ink listed as compatible is actually compatible.
One of my friends worked at a mall kiosk selling ink refill kits and
"recharging" ink cartridges, and his boss' instructions were to feel
free to swap labels on the bulk bottle refill kits whenever needed
(Within the same colour, of course) rather then turning away a customer.

Typical fly by niter. That is how they are.
It didn't matter what make or model of printer you wanted, you needed
yellow, you got "generic yellow" (although I believe he said they kept
photo ink separate from regular ink)

Most is a generic of one form or another.
Interestingly they used OEM ink on the printers in the kiosk not their
refill kits, that's rather telling too.

Sure it says everything. But the dummies do not see it. All they see is
spending less money and think they are saving.

All that being said I'm not saying that the generic ink is always bad,

Just most of the time but there are some circumstances where one can
justify it. But many jerks defend it like a religion.

it obviously works much of the time otherwise there wouldn't be repeat
buyers, but at the same time you don't really know what you're getting.

That is a certainty.

Mostly with pigment ink printers. I have been fortunate with my IP4000.
I have never had a clog in over 5 or 6 years and always use OEM ink.
Sure. If this happens under the warranty period it also gets fixed by
the manufacturer.

Unless they determine that crap ink caused the problem and then they do
not have to fix it.

measekite

This is interesting, and worthy of note. Some compatible inks work in
a wide range of printers. Others do not. If this is common practice
then I would imagine a lawsuit for burnt out heads if they can prove
the ink provided wasn't at least "compatible" according to the
manufacturer.

Compatibility is just a word with little meaning. Ink is either the mfg
recommended ink or it is not.
Now if you have a real world example of ink that was manufactured to be
compatible, I'd be glad to hear it.

This is why if you use bulk ink you really need to get information from
those who had experience with it. For me, I bought the cheapest printer

Why take advice from someone making decisions only about money.

possible before taking the plunge, the Canon ip3000 was $45 so it would
be no great loss if the printer exploded.

Ah OK, so they are swapping out black ink. For text 600dpi is common
place on inkjets. You can swap out dye for pigment with only a loss in
quality.

No using OEM is a loss in quality.
Actually Canon ships out replacement heads with few questions asked, and
they don't even want the old head back. They sort of depend on the end
user's honesty. If an Epson fails, they either get sent a factory
referb or get sent to a repair facility, either way the printer gets
replaced while under warranty. The burden of proof that it failed is on
the consumer, which is easy to establish. The burden of proof it was
the fault of ink is on the manufacturer, and that's a tough case to
prove.

Not it is not,.

measekite

I'd like to help, but if you replaced the head, and if you are using
Canon OEM ink, and ink is being dumped at a rate of about 20 ml ever
few hours?

I'd do as Arthur suggests, check to make sure the ink is actually
"gone". There are some aftermarket cartridges that leak, but to leak

If you use OEM you do not have these issues.

this quickly odds are you'd see it before you pop it in the printer.
A printhead gasket would possibly explain this as well, though a few
hours is pretty quick.

If you've verified the ink is actually gone I can only think of a few
causes to the problem

1) Leaky cartridges
2) Printhead gasket
3) Bad logic board (as in the printer is stuck on a cleaning cycle)

(1) would be amazing but not impossible.
(2) is at least possible
(3) At this rate of speed, I lean toward this as the explanation.
Firing at full steam it's very possible to drain a bci-3e in 1/2
hour.

The i860 is a printer worth keeping in service, but if you've actually

No it is not. The new Canons print better, print faster, have dual paper
trays, and print duplex under most OS.

lost 100ml of ink into the
printer, unless you feel comfortable
replacing the waste pad, it's time to consider a new one.

Another waste of time.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/TN627LL/A?cid=AOS-US-SHOP-Froogle

This is the best price for the ip4500. It'll cost more to operate than
the i860, but not as much as the new ip4600.

but the quality is better and faster and it has more features. A no
brainer.

Amy Moore

Arthur Entlich said:
Where did your tech look for the ink.

Most inkjet printers have a series of pads near their base (often under
the printer mechanism), which hold "waste ink". It can be delivered via a
tube or via dripping down, etc. Obviously, the ink has to be going
somewhere, and I expect that's where it is. It may begin to leak out the
bottom if this continues.

Most of the time ink leaks because the cartridge is not functioning
properly due to a hole in the wrong place, or a broken seal, or a stopper
not properly sealed, or the cartridge not sealing properly on installation
around the head carriage parts and so forth. Are these refilled
cartridges or new original Canon cartridge (that could get very
expensive).

Art

These are all 6 new Genuine Canon 3e Black ink cartridges. Now 7 new ones,
over one hundred dollars and more than the cost of the printer at this time.

Look everywhere at the bottom of the print - found no ink leaking.

Amy Moore

Actually Canon ships out replacement heads with few questions asked,
and they don't even want the old head back. They sort of depend on
the end user's honesty. If an Epson fails, they either get sent a
factory referb or get sent to a repair facility, either way the
printer gets replaced while under warranty. The burden of proof that
it failed is on the consumer, which is easy to establish. The burden
of proof it was the fault of ink is on the manufacturer, and that's a
tough case to prove.

Well, we have 3 new print heads in this offices for a bunch of Canon
printers of the same models.
In this case, we swapped cleaned print heads, but failed to stop cartirdge
ink getting empty quickly.

Amy Moore

Arthur Entlich said:
I just found your original posting here.

As you sure the ink cartridges are empty when you remove them, or is the
printer just stating they are empty?

It would seem to me that if 6 large black ink cartridges have emptied into
the printer:

1: it would be leaking in out the bottom or soon will

2: The cost of 6 large black OEM ink cartridge are more valuable than
replacing the printer. Although I am not big on replacing printers which
can be replaced, if the printer is having that extreme an issue, and is
likely to start now leaking ink out the bottom, it might be time to
replace it.

Art
Yes, the ink cartridge was empty. The computer showed warning dialog, and
the printer stops working.

We cannot find any leak ink at the bottom of the printer anywhere.

We only use new Canon ink cartridges. Now we have 7 empty 3e black ink
cartridges in 2 weeks. We probably printed no more than 30 pages. This is
getting quite expensive.

Amy Moore

Arthur Entlich said:
I just found your original posting here.

As you sure the ink cartridges are empty when you remove them, or is the
printer just stating they are empty?

It would seem to me that if 6 large black ink cartridges have emptied into
the printer:

1: it would be leaking in out the bottom or soon will

2: The cost of 6 large black OEM ink cartridge are more valuable than
replacing the printer. Although I am not big on replacing printers which
can be replaced, if the printer is having that extreme an issue, and is
likely to start now leaking ink out the bottom, it might be time to
replace it.

Art
Yes, the ink cartridge was empty. The computer showed warning dialog, and
the printer stops working.

We cannot find any leak ink at the bottom of the printer anywhere.

We have swapped cleaned new print heads too.

We only use new Canon ink cartridges. Now we have 7 empty 3e black ink
cartridges in 2 weeks. We probably printed no more than 30 pages. This is
getting quite expensive.

IntergalacticExpandingPanda

No it is not. The new Canons print better, print faster, have dual paper
trays, and print duplex under most OS.

You know the mp520 was released with basically the same printhead as
the i860? Same with the MX700. You know the major advantage to the
ip4500 is it has an extra set of medium sized nozzles as the i860/
ip4000?

Given you can buy a new printer with the same resolution as the i860,
it sort of suggests that the i860 is not that bad of a printer. Text
has remained unchanged.

Dual feeds are "handy" but to be honest, I actually don't use them
that often. It's nice to have a place to stuff envelopes and legal
sized paper. It's not something I'd spend $100 on, just for that
feature.

but the quality is better and faster and it has more features. A no
brainer.

Text quality is identical.
Features are only useful if you actually use them.

Look, I'm going to agree in this case that the cost to troubleshoot
the issue, and the possibility of a full waste ink pad are good
reasons to upgrade printers. If it wasn't for these factors the i860
is a fine printer worth keeping in service unless you are interested
in dual feeds, higher resolution photos, and CD printing.

Arthur Entlich

I would have to suggest you contact Canon at this point.

Their engineers would be more familiar with where the ink could be going
and why. Since you are using OEM ink cartridges, you have certainly
shown enough loyalty to their product, so hopefully they can help you.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

IntergalacticExpandingPanda

These are all 6 new Genuine Canon 3e Black ink cartridges. Now 7 new ones,
over one hundred dollars and more than the cost of the printer at this time.

Look everywhere at the bottom of the print - found no ink leaking.

I suspect either main board malfunction, or power supply
malfunction.
I say this because a good tank doesn't leak in hours, it doesn't leak
in days. If you unplug your printer and the printhead doesn't get
capped, it won't leak, not that quickly.

Now if you unplug your printer and plug it back in, presuming an
ip4000, it will do a cleaning cycle. .3g black, 1.00g color. If this
happens every 4min for 4 hours, your black will be empty. However,
your color would be empty too after an hour. But that's not
happening. It's just your black that's leaking.
..14g of black is used to clean if you've not printed black in 24-48
hours.

You spent 6 cartridges troubleshooting the printer. Cartridge is
25ml, 20ml in the chamber, 5ml in the sponge. This means 120-150ml of
ink is now inside your printer. this is equal to roughly 92 cartridge
changes, or 20 sets. The printer uses a counter to estimate when the
waste pad needs to be replaced. That value on the ip4000 is 1800IIRC,
though I don't know what this means in terms of grams or ml. This
120-150ml does not include all the times you changed cartridges, and
all the cleaning cycles you've done on your printer.

If you want to continue using your printer, it's time to replace the
waste ink pad. On top of that, there is an issue with the cartridge
leaking.

It's time to consider another printer.

http://www.adorama.com/ICAIP4500.html
ip4500 from adorama camera $120 shipped

http://estore.usa.canon.com/webapp/...1&parent_category_rn=12152&top_category=12054
Canon mp610 all in one $120 +tax from Canon e-store

Either one will do text any better. Both will do photos better.

I hate to break it to you but without test equipment, the best you can
do is throw replacement parts at it, until the problem is resolved.
Powersupply, logicboard, printhead, as well as a number of other misc
parts. You can talk to Canon if you wish to see if they can resolve
the issue, or if there is a warranty plan you can buy into to fix your
printer, but given you have an extra 120-150ml of ink in your printer
above and beyond what normally goes in there, 4 oz of extra liquid,
you're looking at the possiblity of an overflow.

IntergalacticExpandingPanda

correction

the ip4500 is out of stock on the sites listed

In stock are their multifuctionals
[mp610]
https://estore.usa.canon.com/webapp...toreId=10051&catalogId=10051&productId=170365
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Pixma-I...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227126445&sr=8-1
$120-$130

[mp530]
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Pixma-O...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227126495&sr=1-1
http://www.adorama.com/ICAMP530.html
$100 shipped

The mp530 is less desirable as it's basically the older ip4200 with a
smaller printhead, but the same size as the i860 actually. It's the
fax model with a sheet feed scanner. It doesn't feature a nifty color
screen.

The mp610 slightly smaller, has no sheet feeder, but is the ip4500 AIO
version. No sheet feeder.

IntergalacticExpandingPanda

">> I hate to break it to you but without test equipment, the best you can

Our tach guys opened three i860 Canon printers and compare any differences.
None found. They showed me the white ceramic pieces where the head parked.
After watch these pads is clean.
Our tech guys talk to Canon. Not much come of it.

If you are losing ink where the ink pad is parked, then, near as I'm
aware it goes into the waste pad. You have to really disassemble the
i860 to get at the waste pads.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=308

It's designed to funnel ink to the waste pad. You print
borderless,ink goes to the foam which has holes which go to the waste
pad. You prime the head, waste ink goes to the pad. You clean your
heads, it goes to the waste pad. If you cartridgeThere are those who
estimate 500ml of ink in their pads, but I highly doubt if the waste
pad area can hold that much. I'd buy 250ml though most likely 170ml
which seems to be on par with Canon's 1700 number for waste pad
fullness.

Obviously if your tech guys have the technical skill to replace the
waste pad, well, no worries. If they don't you have 120-150ml extra
ink in your waste pad, 120-150ml that is not detected in the printer's
memory.

This is coming from a person who would keep that printer in service
even if maintenance cost was 1/2 the value of a new printer.

The mp610 jumped up in price on the Canon E-store to $180-$200 but is
still available from Amazon.com for $130. The mp530, the low end fax
model, is $99 from amazon.com. Unless you can replace the waste pads
on your own, it's highly advisable you replace the unit if for nothing
else but the waste pads, but there is an unresolved issue with it
guzzling OEM ink, something that really shouldn't happen that quickly
since gravity doesn't work "that" quickly, not with a new OEM
cartridge, and not very likely with 6 OEM new cartridges. The ONLY
way this might happen is if it was refilled and the refiller botched
the job and left a large hole at the top. Then it might drain in 4
hours, but you would be able to see the cartridge actually leak before
you put it in.

Michael J Davis

IntergalacticExpandingPanda said:
[...]

Just to add that if it's anything like my Canon S9000, it will stop
working when the wastepads are full. I had to search the internet for
instructions to change it, couldn't then, find a replacement, so washed
it out and dried it (even that took days - and I scorched it trying to
speed it up!) - it was a really messy process and used lots of water!

Subsequently I found a supplier on the internet and have bought two for
next time.

Frankly, for commercial use, I'd buy a new printer!

Mike

Amy Moore

"IntergalacticExpandingPanda" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
If you are losing ink where the ink pad is parked, then, near as I'm
aware it goes into the waste pad. You have to really disassemble the
i860 to get at the waste pads.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=308

It's designed to funnel ink to the waste pad. You print
borderless,ink goes to the foam which has holes which go to the waste
pad. You prime the head, waste ink goes to the pad. You clean your
heads, it goes to the waste pad. If you cartridgeThere are those who
estimate 500ml of ink in their pads, but I highly doubt if the waste
pad area can hold that much. I'd buy 250ml though most likely 170ml
which seems to be on par with Canon's 1700 number for waste pad
fullness.

Wow, thanks. That is an eye opener for our tech support people.
Yes, you are right. Our techs never openned the bottom of the Canon printer
units.

Well, that pretty much tell us where all the ink went.
Is there anyway to stop the ink from leaking?
Should we remove the ink cartridges everything we stop printing?

Michael J Davis

wrote in message

Wow, thanks. That is an eye opener for our tech support people.
Yes, you are right. Our techs never openned the bottom of the Canon
printer units.
I already told you my experience re Canon S9000, but you may find some
other answers on this site (my bookmark given as it's got some overlap
with yours):-
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/15805
Well, that pretty much tell us where all the ink went.
Is there anyway to stop the ink from leaking?
Should we remove the ink cartridges everything we stop printing?

My ignorant guess is that the cap that stops the heads from leaking in
the parked position isn't closing properly. If you remove the cartridges
you may find all that happens is that the head dries out. Sorry.

Mike

IntergalacticExpandingPanda

Wow, thanks. That is an eye opener for our tech support people.
Yes, you are right. Our techs never openned the bottom of the Canon printer
units.

Well, that pretty much tell us where all the ink went.
Is there anyway to stop the ink from leaking?
Should we remove the ink cartridges everything we stop printing?

The way canon manages the issue is it keeps track of everytime you
swap printheads, every time you clean the cartridge, every time you do
a borderless print and get "some" overspray. Even if you don't clean
the heads your self, the ip4000 is on a timmer where the big black, if
you don't print with in like 24 hours, it spews like a 1/14 a ml into
the diaper. Color you can ignore for 3 days but that too spews like
1/30ml into the diaper. This all adds up.

Canon isn't the "worst" nor the "best" in terms of waste.

On the ip4000 this value is 1700, but I don't know what this means in
terms of grams or ml, but obviously 1700 is an early warning before
overflow is an issue. But whatever the current fullness of the
printer is, you have an extra 120-150ml in the diaper that isn't on
the printers odometer.

The only resolution is to replace the diaper. You can find a i860
service manual to get instructions on how to do this. You can either
order new waste pads, or clean the existing pads. If you have a
support staff that can do this, great. Most cases the printer is
simply replaced, and the old one ends up at Goodwill.

On some printers, it's possible to fit an external waste tank. Epsons
for example use a pump to get the ink from the printhead to the waste
pad. It's trivial to take that tube and put it in a bottle. You will
still have extra ink from borderless printing, but in contrast this is
trivial. Epsons are more wasteful with ink. A Canon in contrast
assuming normal operation, can go years without the waste pad warning,
and even then you can often get away with ignoring the warning and
resetting the printer once.

You should NOT remove the cartridges on everything when you stop
printing, not unless you are willing to also take out the printhead,
cap it, bag it with a piece of wet paper towel, and store it. on the
ip4000 you lose .45g black and 1.5g color priming the head. This is
roughly equal to the automatic cleaning cycle on the ip4000 after you
don't print for 14-45 days, though only 1g of color is used. After 90
days black auto cleaning uses 1.58g. Color cleaning does not exceed
1g on the ip4000 unless you replace the head.

If this is a standard office environment where printing is daily
during the week, you only lose .14g/week directly into the pad, or
7.28g/year, and that's not using the printer on the weekends. This
could be higher if you skip days without printing, but this value will
not exceed 25.2g for black, that presumes you print once every two
days though out the year.
A greater loss would be printing only once every 2 weeks, where you
lose 16.2black and 26g color / year. AFAIK this is the highest rate
of waste ink, as the next step up is 45 days where .78g black and 1g
color are used per cleaning, where a max of 6.24g black and 8 g color
could be used.

You see where I'm going with this. Normal use results in some waste,
use only twice a month results in high waste, less than once a month
results in medium waste. 120-150ml , presuming 1g=1ml, we talking 3-5
years of medium to high waste, not measured on the odometer.

Waste ink is normal, and the printer gives more than adequate warning
when the waste tank is full. By the time it is full, under normal
conditions, you've enjoyed years of faithful service and have to ask
if you want to service the printer or replace it, or ignore the error
and you might be able to get away with it.

The printer needs its waste pad changed at this point, plus there is
the existing issue yearly waste daily. You need test equipment or
field replacements to troubleshoot the issue, and failure to
troubleshoot results in $15 of waste ink going to the diaper,
presuming you lose 20-25ml every 4 hours.

[mp530]
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Pixma-O...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227317294&sr=8-1#
$100 shipped from Amazon.com

An all in one fax unit with the same text resolution and higher photo
resolution will be cheaper. CD printing optional.

[mp610]
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Pixma-I...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227317342&sr=1-1#
$130 will get you an all in one unit that's only 17.7 inches wide,
card slots, larger print head, color LCD screen, and a whole ton of
features odds are you won't use. CD printing optional. This printer
is more quiet, and faster in most operations except 4x6 printing, and
cheaper to operate then the new ip4600.

[mx700]
http://estore.usa.canon.com/webapp/...ategory_rn=12054&top_category=12054&pageView=
$130 shipped from Canon. This is a beast but does sport network.
Color resolution would be on par with your current i860, as with
text. There is NO improvement with this model, except it's a good
deal larger and has a network jack and fax support. CD printing is
not an option.

[mp960]
http://estore.usa.canon.com/webapp/...n=12054&top_category=12054&pageView=&subCat=Y
This printer takes 7 cartridges and isn't really recommended if your
application is just text printing. Photo printing it offers an edge
over the the current ip4600, and well is only $100 shipped. It's a
referb, only a 3 month warranty, but at 1/3 the price many can live
with that.

Unless you are willing to service the printer, which might include
buying an extended warranty from Canon, paying for service by someone
who has a clue about canons, replacement is recommended.

IntergalacticExpandingPanda

My ignorant guess is that the cap that stops the heads from leaking in
the parked position isn't closing properly. If you remove the cartridges
you may find all that happens is that the head dries out. Sorry.

That's a good guess, but IIRC the cartridge drains in under a day. If
you take your average canon tank, open it, and leave it exposed to
air, it doesn't drain that quickly on it's own, and putting it on a
printhead with 320 20-30pl holes (6.4 nano liters per drip).

If the rate of ink loss is greater with the print cartridge not
installed, odds are high it's an electronic problem where the ink is
firing away while the printer is not printing.

But obviously the cartridge is designed to not leak, and they
typically don't unless the vent holes are enlarged. But in all
honesty I've never tried to ignore a full print cartridge to see how
fast it leaks without being installed.

IntergalacticExpandingPanda

I should add, if you elect to troubleshoot the printer, you'll need
the service manual
https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/3072034-canon-i860-i865-service-manual

Presuming you have two i860s, it's very much possible to take the
logic board from a known good one, and put it in the leaky one. That
should help isolate whether or not it's an electronic problem or a
mechanical one. If you have a technical staff willing to do this,
great. Expect them to be very very busy for a day at least.

If you plan to keep your i860s in service as long as possible, if you
plan to replace the waste pads, you absolutely need the service
manual. I think $5.20USD for the PDF is the cheapest you'll find it.
You may also want the parts catalog as well, presuming it doesn't come
with the service manual.

If your main application is text printing, a new unit won't offer much
in the way of improvement if any.

Arthur Entlich

Most inkjet printers, especially consumer models, don't actually monitor
the waste ink pads. What they do is monitor the amount of ink that is
assumed to go down the waste ink tube(s) with each cleaning cycle, or
purge cycle. After a set number of "drops" are reached they warn or
shut down.

With Epson printers, as one example, should a head clog, and you run
many cleaning cycles, even though no ink may have actually passed out
the cartridge and head to the waste ink pads, that ink is still counted
as used waste ink, and assumed to be in the pads.

Also, with Epson's printers since I know them the best, the numbers are
very conservative, so they tend to shut down when the ink saturation is
about half or less of what the pads can tolerate. Also, much of the ink
(probably at least 50%) is made up of volatiles which evaporate over
time, so if you aren't using your printer and running many cleaning
cycles regularly, much f this ink is reduced in volume evaporates.

The main ingredients left over are the pigments of dyes themselves,
glycerin and glycols which are agents to slow drying prevent clogging
and to thicken the ink.

Most inkjet printers have a waste ink level reset, some through pressing
a series of front panel controls in the correct sequence and other via a
software program. Epson now offers this information on line, when it
used to only be available to service depots. Some other brands offer
this information through other sources.

Some people successfully reroute the waste ink tube from inside the
printer to outside and then place the tube into a jar. This way the ink
goes there and can be monitored, and although one would still have to
reset the waste ink monitor, the ink doesn't end up contaminating the
pads and leaking from the printer.

Some people go as far as to successfully reuse the waste ink as basic
black ink for text applications in an older printer, which is better
than discarding this ink, since glycols are toxic in the environment.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

Arthur Entlich

Obviously, what is happening with your printer is not normal, and you
need to determine the cause to figure out under what circumstances it is
losing ink.

Removing the cartridge is not a reasonable answer. The machine will
probably run extra cleaning cycles, you will introduce air into the
heads which will cause printing defects, and the head will dry out if it
is left without cartridges installed.

I see no realistic answer beyond repairing the unit or replacing it.
again, Canon or service people should be able to detect the nature of
the defect and tell you if it makes sense economically to repair the
unit. The continued wasting of numerous OEM ink cartridges doesn't make
any sense, IMHO.