Canon i850 won't print black text

Pat

My Canon i850 won't print black text (but will print other colors) despite
having cleaned (soaked) the print head with ammonia and performed serveral
deep cleanings.

I performed a nozzle check, and the black grid (at the top) as well as solid
black bars A and F did not print. However, black bars G, L and M did print.
Unless patterns G, L and M are generated by different nozzles, it doesn't
appear to a clogged nozzle.

So I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Any suggestions? I'm rather
dismayed that I'm having this problem as the printer is not that old (~ 6
months) and has not been used much.

Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

Pat

beezer

My Canon i850 won't print black text (but will print other colors) despite
having cleaned (soaked) the print head with ammonia and performed serveral
deep cleanings.

I performed a nozzle check, and the black grid (at the top) as well as solid
black bars A and F did not print. However, black bars G, L and M did print.
Unless patterns G, L and M are generated by different nozzles, it doesn't
appear to a clogged nozzle.

So I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Any suggestions? I'm rather
dismayed that I'm having this problem as the printer is not that old (~ 6
months) and has not been used much.

Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

Pat

You definately have a clog. A friend has the same trouble. They
happened to let the ink run completely dry is what caused the problem.

Did you use generic inks or let the printer sit idle for a long long
time? I'm just wondering how this came about.

You may want to consider a cleaning method found on this page.

http://216.219.159.185/clean.html

xNokia3390x

beezer said:
You definately have a clog. A friend has the same trouble. They
happened to let the ink run completely dry is what caused the problem.

What would "completely dry" mean? I use my printer until it says low ink,
then until it says that it's empty and I have to replace the cartridge. So
far, trouble free printing. The i560 is a great printer.

Pat

beezer said:
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:00:24 GMT, "Pat"
You definately have a clog. A friend has the same trouble. They
happened to let the ink run completely dry is what caused the problem.

Did you use generic inks or let the printer sit idle for a long long
time? I'm just wondering how this came about.

You may want to consider a cleaning method found on this page.

http://216.219.159.185/clean.html

Thanks for the reply and link.

I originally thought it was a clog and spent some time cleaning the heads
(using an ammonia solution). What confuses me about this is why, with the
nozzle check, some of the black patterns print and others don't. If the
black nozzles were clogged, wouldn't it effect all of the patterns?

Thanks again. -Pat

beezer

What would "completely dry" mean? I use my printer until it says low ink,
then until it says that it's empty and I have to replace the cartridge. So
far, trouble free printing. The i560 is a great printer.

What I meant by "completely dry" was the sponge itsself was totally
dried out. All warnings were ignored by various users not responsible
for the printer.

It was used until it wouldnt print black anymore and then left dry
without refilling for weeks.

Blitzko

Patterns G, L and M are generated by combining the three primary colours of
Cyan, Magenta and Yellow. Thus the fact that those patterns print only means
that your colours are working. The G, L and M patterns show the 'photo'
black that the i850 uses for papers such as glossy photo etc. instead of the
pigmented black ink found in the black cartridge.

You either have a bad clog or a bad print head.

Blitzko

beezer

Thanks for the reply and link.

I originally thought it was a clog and spent some time cleaning the heads
(using an ammonia solution). What confuses me about this is why, with the
nozzle check, some of the black patterns print and others don't. If the
black nozzles were clogged, wouldn't it effect all of the patterns?

Thanks again. -Pat

There are sooo many nozzels... so I doubt all of them are clogged.
Thats why you see some patterns. Also you may be seeing mixed black at
the bottom which uses ink from all the colors but black.

let me know how things turned out.

Pat

Thanks Blitzko and beezer.

This is making sense now now. I did another, more thorough cleaning of the
print head last night (where I tried to force cleaner through the black
nozzles in particular). Still no go. The fact that nothing at all prints
from the black nozzles makes me think it's a bad print head. So I'll try
replacing that.

Thanks again for the help. -Pat

WeInk.com Technical Support

The nozzle checks produce 2 sets of black/grey scale print patterns'
1 set of the patterns is made using the Black tank, the other
set is created by compositing CMY.

--
WeInk.com Technical Support
Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759

Joined
Aug 26, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Black Ink Not Printing

Hi pat
I have just come across this pcreview web site looking for answers to the same problem you were having with black ink not printing from my canon printer.
Did you ever replace the print head? If so, did it solve the problem?
Jayne

Pat said:
Thanks Blitzko and beezer.

This is making sense now now. I did another, more thorough cleaning of the
print head last night (where I tried to force cleaner through the black
nozzles in particular). Still no go. The fact that nothing at all prints
from the black nozzles makes me think it's a bad print head. So I'll try
replacing that.

Thanks again for the help. -Pat

news:[email protected]...