From: Tessa ([email protected])
Subject: cannot uninstall game from windows XP
This is the only article in this thread
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games
Date: 2002-08-13 17:49:13 PST

hi can anyone help me? i installed the star wars jedi
outcasts II game on my computer, but my computer sorta
froze while installing it halfway, so i clicked on cancel
during the setup.

When i tried uninstalling the programme i received a lot
of popup error messages.

Then when i tried uninstalling it again using the 'Add
and Remove Programmes' feature on Windows XP, it said it
removed the programme but when i checked my computer the
lucasarts folder with all the files from the Jedi
Outcasts game was still there. so i deleted the entire
lucasarts folder.

However i still have the 'jedi outcasts' programme still
listed under the 'add and remove programmes' section, and
some remnant of the programme is taking up 4 MB odd on my
computer.

Can anyone help me remove this remnant? I tried
installing the game again (and then to uninstall it
properly) but i can't even install the game now, it just
asks me if I want to uninstall the game. Help!

Yves Leclerc

Have you tried to remove/rename the old directory? I have seen this before
and I was able to get around this by also renaming the old installed
version of the game directory. Then I was able to un-install the game
successfully and delete my renamed directory.

Y.

Evil Wayne

Actually, yes. I deleted the folder - I sort of wish I had just
renamed it now - I've rebooted several times and still no luck. My
system still thinks it's there and the only option I have when I run
the setup program is to uninstall, but it doensn't take.

*sigh*

Is there some other place that XP logs installs?

-W

Jimmy S.

Hi Evil Wayne,

Here's how to uninstall games when you're in that situation:

1. Backup any saved games and/or mods to a safe location.

2. Uninstall the game using Control Panel / Add-Remove programs.
* Manually delete the game folder or saved games if necessary.
(too late now - I know)

3. Clear any references to the game leftover in your registry using:
http://www.webmasterfree.com/regcleaner.html <= that's your ticket!

4. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
/ Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

5. After a reboot close & exit your Antivirus and any other programs
using this method: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=331796

6. Install the game again from your original CD, do not use a backup.

7. Don't reuse the saved games/mods until you properly test the game.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| Actually, yes. I deleted the folder - I sort of wish I had just
| renamed it now - I've rebooted several times and still no luck. My
| system still thinks it's there and the only option I have when I run
| the setup program is to uninstall, but it doensn't take.
|
| *sigh*
|
| Is there some other place that XP logs installs?
|
| -W
|
| > Have you tried to remove/rename the old directory? I have seen this before
| > and I was able to get around this by also renaming the old installed
| > version of the game directory. Then I was able to un-install the game
| > successfully and delete my renamed directory.
| >
| > Y.

| > > problem I'm having, but with No One Lives Forever. I did go thru
| > > Regedit and delete references to it, but I've obviously missed
| > > something because it's still coming up.
| > >
| > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
| > >
| > > Thank you!
| > >
| > > Here's the previous post (I couldn't figure out how to reply to it, so
| > > I've posted it here):
| > >
| > > From: Tessa ([email protected])
| > > Subject: cannot uninstall game from windows XP
| > > This is the only article in this thread
| > > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games
| > > Date: 2002-08-13 17:49:13 PST
| > >

| > > hi can anyone help me? i installed the star wars jedi
| > > outcasts II game on my computer, but my computer sorta
| > > froze while installing it halfway, so i clicked on cancel
| > > during the setup.
| > >
| > > When i tried uninstalling the programme i received a lot
| > > of popup error messages.
| > >
| > > Then when i tried uninstalling it again using the 'Add
| > > and Remove Programmes' feature on Windows XP, it said it
| > > removed the programme but when i checked my computer the
| > > lucasarts folder with all the files from the Jedi
| > > Outcasts game was still there. so i deleted the entire
| > > lucasarts folder.
| > >
| > > However i still have the 'jedi outcasts' programme still
| > > listed under the 'add and remove programmes' section, and
| > > some remnant of the programme is taking up 4 MB odd on my
| > > computer.
| > >
| > > Can anyone help me remove this remnant? I tried
| > > installing the game again (and then to uninstall it
| > > properly) but i can't even install the game now, it just
| > > asks me if I want to uninstall the game. Help!

Evil Wayne

Just a note that I figured it out. When I searched the registry I was
searching for Monolith, the developer, because it had always appeared
under that heading. Well, I did a second search for "No One" and I
found an entry in a folder with a long string of numbers - the
uninstall info, I'm guessing.

Delete that and I was able to reinstall the application.

Thanks!

-Evil Wayne

Jimmy S.

WTG Wayne, that was the ticket... Glad it's working now! :)

Cheers!
Jimmy.