Cannot type with Keyboard. Have tried different Keyboards etc.

alewis41

I have an HP t550.uk Windows XP Service Pack 3 desktop. I have "done"
something that prevents me typing letters or numbers with the keyboard...

The Fn keys on the keyboard work okay.

The Mouse works okay.

I can use the on-screen keyboard (but of course that's slow going).

I have tried a regular keyboard.
I have tried a wireless keyboard.
I have tried a USB keyboard.
I have tried all of these keyboards on other PCs and they all work.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers for all of the above
keyboards multiple times.

I do NOT have restore points I can go back to (don't know why).

After hitting F8 on re-start to get into safe mode I can use the arrow keys
to select from the safe mode options (safe mode with command prompt etc) and
can use the enter key BUT THE KEYBOARD DOES NOT WORK WHEN I AM IN SAFE MODE.

I apologize in advance if I've missed out a vital piece of information that
would help you to help me. I am out of ideas.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

I do NOT have restore points I can go back to (don't know why).

Take the machine to a local, reputable and independent (i.e., not
BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.

db ´¯`·.. >

perhaps, your third party anti
virals became corrupted with
the installation of sp3 and
they
are inhibiting your restore
system
and keyboard and perhaps other
things you have yet to
discover.

so you might want to uninstall
them temporarily to eliminate
possible afflictions at this
time.

also, you might simply try
a check disk and a defrag
to ensure that the large sp3
file change over didn't stress
out your file system.

ultimately if the above doesn’t
help, then you should simply
uninstall sp3 and see how
your system responds.

sp3 can be uninstalled via
add/remove programs.

--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

"alewis41"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...

alewis41

Can you explain why you are making that suggestion? For example, are you
saying that it sounds like a hardware problem? Or are you indicating that I
have already tried the steps that you would have suggested. Are you saying
that specifically in relation to me being unable to restore? Or is there
another reason why you recommend a repair shop.

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Andrew

PA Bear [MS MVP]

The fact that you're having such problems and that System Restore isn't
working suggests that the machine might be suffering from a hijackware
infection. Any investigation for same would require the use of a functional
keyboard. Ergo...

Mark Adams

alewis41 said:
Can you explain why you are making that suggestion? For example, are you
saying that it sounds like a hardware problem? Or are you indicating that I
have already tried the steps that you would have suggested. Are you saying
that specifically in relation to me being unable to restore? Or is there
another reason why you recommend a repair shop.

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Andrew
Image your hard drive to an external usb drive with Acronis True Image.
Reformat the drive to NTFS and reinstall Windows. If the install goes well
and the keyboard works, then do as PA Bear says and diagnose your operating
system. If the reinstall doesn't go well and/or the keyboard still doesn't
work, ditch the mainboard; you have a hardware problem. Now you will have
Acronis TI and an external hard drive, which together will help you avert
this type of problem in the future.